CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Sixty Special - Window Lock Problem

Hi, I'm trying to help my dad fix an annoying problem. The windows can only be operated from the driver's door. We thought the window lock switch was bad, but I pulled it out and tested it. It seems to work fine. When unlocked, the switch is open which would eliminate the wiring too.

I'm thinking the window module now. I can't seem to find any info though. Anyone here have any thoughts or perhaps a wiring diagram? Where is the window module located?

Thanks in advance....

:welcomesmiley:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and tell you what I find in the 1997 model year FSM. There was a big platform change from 1991-1992 and there were a lot of other changes between 1992 and 1997, notably to OBD II in 1996, which required a lot of changes in the wiring harness and thus was an opportunity to update any part of the electrical system that would require a new part number for the wiring harness. There are others here that have experience with power windows in the 1991 model year that will step in if my 1997 information does not apply to your car.

In the 1997 FSM, the only power windows module is the express down module which is contained in the LH Front Power Window Switch. Circuit breaker functionality was contained in each power window motor as a solid state module.

The lockout switch cut off the rear power windows only. It did not affect the front passenger power window. When the switch is in the unlocked position, it is closed, not open.

The lockout switch operates by turning off the power to the power window switches in the rear doors. This power comes through the BLU wire at pin D of connector C1 on the LF power window switch. Power to the front window switches is through a PNK wire.

From what we are seeing, either the lockout switch *is* the problem after all, or there is a wiring harness problem, probably with the BLU wire. If the RF door is affected, it is probably the wiring harness and both the BLU and PNK wires to the RF door are affected.

The 1991 model year was the first with OBD I mandated by California and used by all cars sold in the US, so you can run the OBD codes for your car. If you run the codes and post them here it may help us with this problem.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks - OBD codes - Wow, it's been a while since I last had to jumper those pins! I'll try it next time I'm at my dads.

I eliminated the switch as a problem since it is closed when locked. I was hoping it would be something simple like using this switch to kill the circuit to the other window switches, but the logic doesn't suggest that. Can somebody with a simila Deville confirm that the lock is only for the rear windows? I should ask I my dad to read the manual.

On a 1991, you don't jumper pins, you use buttons on the A/C panel. Press <Off> and <Pass Warmer> together for a few seconds, until all the dash lights come on just like they do when you first turn on the key, then release them. The OBD codes will flash, one at a time, on the driver information center.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

There won't be any codes set for a power window. Pull the window switch on one of the doors that does not have an operating window and check to see if there is 12V at the switch with the ignition in the ON position. If there is, check for 12V at the opposite lead when the switch is activated. If there is 12V to the motor, the motor is bad. If there is not 12V at the other end of the switch, the window switch is bad. Someone with a 1991 service manual should be able to scan the diagram.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

There won't be any codes set for a power window. Pull the window switch on one of the doors that does not have an operating window and check to see if there is 12V at the switch with the ignition in the ON position. If there is, check for 12V at the opposite lead when the switch is activated. If there is 12V to the motor, the motor is bad. If there is not 12V at the other end of the switch, the window switch is bad. Someone with a 1991 service manual should be able to scan the diagram.

Kevin,

If I read the original post correctly... ALL the windows work as long as you use the switches on the drivers door...

Posted Image

Kevin,

If I read the original post correctly... ALL the windows work as long as you use the switches on the drivers door...

That would rule out the motors. The passenger front and both rear door window switches receive their power from the driver's master switch.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If the motors are good and the switch is good, that leaves the wiring harness. You can check that by seeing that there is 12 Volts on the line at the driver's switch when the lock is off, but there is not 12 Volts on the switch at the other doors.

The prospect that all the other switches is unlikely because all of them would have to be bad, but if there is 12 Volts at the switch on a rear door but the switch doesn't run the motor, then the switch is bad.

The passenger front and both rear door window switches receive their power from the driver's master switch.

That's what I thought. I checked the Window Lock Switch and then LOCKED, the switch is closed. So there must be a relay or window module somewhere that's part of this circuit.

Archived