CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Front end clunking 2004 DTS

On the 2004 DTS that I just bought, there is a clunking/lose sounding noise that happens over small imperfections in the road on the right side. Larger bumps and dips it doesn't seem to make a noise.

I had this exact same noise on my 99 Deville and it ended up being the stabilizer bar link. I was going to start with that, but I wanted to see if anyone has had something similar.

I noticed the link is quite a bit different on the 04 and that's why I wanted to double check.

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

The 2004 has traditional style stabilizer bar links - A long bolt with large rubber isolators at each end. The '99 had the links with the small ball joint that were suseptible to wear. The sway bar bushings can wear and create the noise you are hearing. The easiest thing to do is put the car on ramps and use a pry bar against the sway bar and look for movement/slop.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I did some testing but couldn't get it to recreate the noise when I was underneath it. I replaced both sides stabilzer bar links because the old ones were looking pretty mushroomed and they were $18 for both. Still have the noise though.

I have noticed that it will do it *sometimes* when driving straight, but 99% of the time it does it is when I'm slightly veering left or turning left. It only does it on small bumps, not usually larger ones and sometimes does it with no bumps at all.

So it seems that there has to be pressure on that side before it will make the noise because if I turn left that should put pressure on the right side, correct? That is the only side I'm hearing it from.

Still could be stabilizer bar bushings? Where do I find those at?

-Dusty-

I did some testing but couldn't get it to recreate the noise when I was underneath it. I replaced both sides stabilzer bar links because the old ones were looking pretty mushroomed and they were $18 for both. Still have the noise though.

I have noticed that it will do it *sometimes* when driving straight, but 99% of the time it does it is when I'm slightly veering left or turning left. It only does it on small bumps, not usually larger ones and sometimes does it with no bumps at all.

So it seems that there has to be pressure on that side before it will make the noise because if I turn left that should put pressure on the right side, correct? That is the only side I'm hearing it from.

Still could be stabilizer bar bushings? Where do I find those at?

Should be where the bar mounts to the engine cradle. With the car on ramps, not jackstands (you need to simulate the front wheels on the pavement), use a pry bar to attempt to move the stabilizer bar. If you see it move relative to the bushings, the bushings are shot.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 4 weeks later...

The bushings were in pretty bad shape so I replaced them with GM bushings, but the clunk is still there. Any ideas where to go next? The only thing I can think of is the control arm bushing or the strut. I really don't want it to be a strut because those bad boys are not cheap.

-Dusty-

It could be the strut bearing/mount or it could be coming from the rear. You need to isolate the noise to one area of the car. Pay attention to the timing on when the noise happens - that way, you can isolate it to the front or back as well as side to side.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have noticed a similar noise that likely originates from bad front lower control arm bushings, but unlike your case, it is noticeable on medium bumps and I have no trouble driving without causing the sound. I have also had a similar noise that would happen on very small bumps or even if going over an uneven surface, and that turned out to be the stabilizer bar links. My car is a '97 DeVille, so the same as the '99 you had. The bushings holding the stabilizer bar (not the links) might be worth checking, but I am not sure if they are likely to cause such noises if they are worn.

I'm almost positive it's coming from the right front. The time that I notice it the most is when I'm making a slight left turn going slower. It does other times too, but it's most noticeable during that scenario. I don't even think it does it when I'm turning right. I'll pay attention a little more.

hjb981, I had the same thing as you with my 99' where it was the stabilizer bar link causing the clunk. That is what I thought it was originally because it sounds identical to that noise and almost does it over the exact same bumps/uneven surface. I've replaced the links and the bushings though so I've ruled them out.

Jim, did you have to replace the entire strut or is it separate part?

-Dusty-

I'm almost positive it's coming from the right front. The time that I notice it the most is when I'm making a slight left turn going slower. It does other times too, but it's most noticeable during that scenario. I don't even think it does it when I'm turning right. I'll pay attention a little more.

hjb981, I had the same thing as you with my 99' where it was the stabilizer bar link causing the clunk. That is what I thought it was originally because it sounds identical to that noise and almost does it over the exact same bumps/uneven surface. I've replaced the links and the bushings though so I've ruled them out.

The strut bearing is a separate part....

You DO NOT have to replace the strut.

AC Delco part number...901001...

Rock Auto... $23.79

Posted Image

It's plastic?? Since when are bearings plastic? I'm wondering if that's what is causing it. I did a little research and it looks like people are saying the clunking noise comes when turning, which is what I'm getting.

Are these located on the bottom or top of the strut? Sorry for my ignorance, I've actually never heard of a strut bearing before.

-Dusty-

• 2 weeks later...

Will I need a spring compressor to do this job?

-Dusty-

Will I need a spring compressor to do this job?

Yes. Also, be sure to scribe the strut and knuckle so you do not lose the alignment. The upper strut mount could also be bad.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I was looking on rockauto and it looks like they have the mount and bearing for $35 part# 88946477. They say the bearing is included, but yet it's not pictured.

-Dusty-

I was looking on rockauto and it looks like they have the mount and bearing for $35 part# 88946477. They say the bearing is included, but yet it's not pictured.

Rock Auto discount code

1636686113542799..... expires on September 29, 2013

Posted Image

Thanks!

-Dusty-

Archived