CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Good Deal? 2004 DTS

I wasn't actually looking to replace my 99 Deville, but this one popped up and it has everything that I want on it. I checked book on it and it books for $8500

http://www.bismanonline.com/2004_cadillac_dts_deville_loaded

There are a couple of rock chips on the bumper, but other than that the car is in near perfect shape.

Couple of questions though. Is this the year they changed the head bolts again on the Northstar to help with the bolts pulling? If I'm not mistaken, they changed them in 2000 and 2004 by lengthening them and making the threads coarser, respectively.

Was anything changed on the trannys to account for the faulty seal causing the P0741 or is that the same as the other years?

Anything else I should look for? I'll obviously check the codes and for safe measure check for combustion gases in the coolant.

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

The listing expired.

:(

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I wasn't actually looking to replace my 99 Deville, but this one popped up and it has everything that I want on it. I checked book on it and it books for $8500

http://www.bismanonline.com/2004_cadillac_dts_deville_loaded

There are a couple of rock chips on the bumper, but other than that the car is in near perfect shape.

Couple of questions though. Is this the year they changed the head bolts again on the Northstar to help with the bolts pulling? If I'm not mistaken, they changed them in 2000 and 2004 by lengthening them and making the threads coarser, respectively.

Was anything changed on the trannys to account for the faulty seal causing the P0741 or is that the same as the other years?

Anything else I should look for? I'll obviously check the codes and for safe measure check for combustion gases in the coolant.

Yes... the headbolts were changed in 2004.

There should be less chance of it having trouble.

I don't know the answer about the transmission...

Posted Image

The 4T80E was updated occasionally but the different versions were generally interchangeable. To answer your question, the viscous clutch TCC was replaced for the 2005 model year by EC3, electronically controlled converter clutch (interesting name, because the viscous clutch TCC is also electronically controlled). I don't know what EC3 is; it's probably a wet plate clutch integrated with the torque converter.

If you service your transmission every 60,000 miles or so and don't tow or otherwise abuse it, you probably won't have any trouble with it regardless of year. If you *do* go over 100,000 miles without servicing it, tow a load on the highway or otherwise overheat the transmission, run with it low on fluid, or otherwise abuse it, you will have trouble with any transmission.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

The listing expired because I purchased it last night :yupi3ti:

I LOVE this car. Everything works on it with the exception of the shift interlock not releasing every once in a great while and a little noise on the front right side that sounds very similar to my stabilizer bar link issue I had on my 99 a while back. I got it for $6500. I'll post some pictures later today.

I'm going to start a new thread on the shifter issue.

Thanks everyone for the tips! I did check the codes and there was no P0741 and I tested the combustion gases, just in case, and they came up fine.

-Dusty-

Congratulations on your new Cadillac!

Thanks Jim! This will make number 12. I'm having troubles finding a heritage of ownership (the newer style) with a 12 though.

Finally got it washed and waxed so I took some pictures.

http://www.pcprosnd.com/DTS/index.html

-Dusty-

Wow, that *is* a magnificent car. I love the diamond white, and the diamond white grille really seals the dea.

It's got some moisture in it so it's fogged over. I took the bright bulb out and let the car sit in the sun today and it is disappearing. Hopefully it will go away completely.

I love the color, found out it's actually white lightning, not white diamond. I bought an original sales brochure for that year and the only whites offered were colliton and white lightning.

It's amazing though, sometimes it looks blue, sometimes goldish.

-Dusty-

It's got some moisture in it so it's fogged over. I took the bright bulb out and let the car sit in the sun today and it is disappearing. Hopefully it will go away completely.

I love the color, found out it's actually white lightning, not white diamond. I bought an original sales brochure for that year and the only whites offered were colliton and white lightning.

It's amazing though, sometimes it looks blue, sometimes goldish.

My 2006 is also White Lightning and not White Diamond.

Wait till you drive down a street where the tree limbs reach out and mostly cover the street... Look at the hood and it will look green.. :):)

Posted Image

Archived