CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Shifter knob replacement

Dadillac

I know what Dadillac has been going through. I have a 99 SLS. I bought the wooden knob and the leather one came off as it should. I have been in the car trading mood for some time and before I would go to the dealer, I would remove the wooden knob and reinstall the leather. I have done this several times. Now, I can no longer get the wooden one off and I have strained so much I'm afraid I'm going to pull out the transmission. Must have broken the clip or whatever holds it in.

I have not tried to remove the new one. For all that I care, it is there forever. I am just glad this saga is over. The clip in the photo, was imbedded in the shifter, under the leather, and runner. There is no way to access the clip, without disassembling the shifter, which it is not designed to do. It goes like this: At the bottom of the shifter, is a plastice chrome piece. The clip is under that piece. Under the chrome piece, is the leather cover, the clip is under that. Under the leather cover, is a rubber material, that gives the shifter it's shape, the clip is under that. So to access the clip, on this type of shifter, is not possible. It took about 30 minutes of surgeon like technique (yeah right) to cut this thing apart, chop apart the center plastic section (which houses the clip), and slide the clip out. Since the clip was still in perfectly new condition, I guess that I just wasn't pulling hard enough. I just cannot believe that, as I am not a small weak person. I am short (5'7") and weigh 200 lbs. This weight is a mixture of fat and muscle. I am not Hercules, bit I definitely am not Olive Oyl. Like I said before, I am just glad it is over. The new knob looks great. Thanks for listening, and applying where necessary. You all have been great.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

Archived