CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Shifter knob replacement

Dadillac

I purchased a mahogany shift knob off of Ebay for my 2002 Seville SLS. It is a beautiful knob, and I would love to install it on my car. Now the problem. I cannot remove the existing leather covered knob from the shifter stem. I have been told, and I have read, that the knob just needs to be pulled straight off. I have been pulling on this thing, will extreme force, and it isn't budging. I went as far, as to open the sunroof, sat on the console, and used my legs, as well as my arms, to try and pull this thing off. I am afraid of damaging the shifter stem, so I stopped. Why is this thing so stubborn? Can anyone help? I will get the new knob on the car, even if I have to buy a new shifter unit. But, I would like to avoid that. Thanks for any input.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

Apparently there was a design change from your year to my year. My shift knob, has a chrome collar below the leather. There is no visible slots, clips, anything. Looking at the new knob, there is a clip, which almost looks like a staple, inside the shifter stem hole. I just can't figure this thing out.

Don

The staple-like C-clip retainer was the standard way GM held the shifter knobs in place for many years. It is possible the attachment was redesigned by the 2002 model year, I don't know for sure. I do know that the C-clips sometimes get burried in the leather covering and are hard to find. If the attachment has been redesigned, your mahogany knob may not work without some modification.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

That's all I have been hearing. When I tell you, that I have been pulling on this thing, enough to pop a vessel in my head, I am not kidding. I will give it another shot. After that, I have the wife try. :P Hey, sometimes a woman's touch is all that is needed. If that doesn't work, I will mangle it, and cut it off. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why it won't pull off. Thanks for everyones input, it is greatly appreciated.

Don

Well, I tried for the last time today. I also had a co-worker try. We both tried a light pull, up to a strong pull. This thing is fighting with all it's got. I am cutting this POS off. I cannot remember, the last time, a car part has gotten the best of me. I really wanted to save the old knob, but that isn't going to happen. Wish me luck.

Don

I think I would try a call to the dealer and ask one of the techs. The worst they could tell you is we won't tell you. Have you pulled while depressing the lever that holds it in park?

There has to be something so simple that after you butcher it you'll go "oh."

I saw a new one for sale on eBay. The seller says that it is mounted via a spring loaded snap ring in the handle...snaps on...snaps off. Maybe yours was loose and someone put some glue in there or something...are you the original owner?

Charles

Charles

The knob doesn't have one of those buttone to move it. It is just a knob, that does have the spring clip in it. I am not the original owner. I purchased the car used about three and a half weeks ago, so I do not know the history. The knob feels loose on the shifter stem. If I grab it, it has free movement. I am guessing that the spring clip may have broken, when it was installed. I have thought of asking the dealer, but they will just state what I already know. It just pulls off. I have opened a challenge in another forum, so I will do the same here. To all NJ residents, if you want to give it a try, let me know. Otherwise, the cutting will begin this coming weekend. I am thinking that the knob is like the Excaliber sword. It needs the perfect person, to pull it out of the stone, err, off of the shifter stem.

Don

Funny....I just had a leather shifter handle come in today.......anyway, they are a bear to get off. This is from the service manual...

Important

Detaching the shift control knob from the shift lever may require a large amount of physical effort.

Do not twist the shift control knob while pulling.

Firmly grasp the shift control knob.

Pull straight up to detach from the shift lever.

Installation Procedure

Align the shift control knob to the shift lever.

Firmly press down on the shift control knob in order to attach to the shift lever. An audible sound will be heard when the internal clip is fully seated.

post-3-1102375170.gif

Well there it is - get a bigger hammer! If I was near you I'd come lend a "hand" so's to speak!

Be well

Steve

I am going to be purchasing the Mahogany handle too, I was waiting for the wife while she was shopping and I tried what the previous posts said "to just pull up on handle." guess what it worked. :) Keeping trying Dadillac don't hack or cut anything. Good Luck

I gave it another try this evening, and it isn't coming off. Right now, if you grab the knob, you can move it back and forth, so it has some play in it. I am going to make the assumption, that the spring clip, is broken, and it must be lodged in such a way, that prevents the broken part, from disengaging the stem. When I tell you that I have used extreme force to pull straight up on the knob, I'm not joking. This evening, I went out to the car, with the mindset, that the knob is coming off, period. I started pulling, and decided, I am going to give it all I've got. If the knob comes off, and I end up breaking the rearview mirror, oh well. I just want this thing off. Didn't work though. Well, I am going to cut on Saturday. I hate to do it, becaused the shift knob is in great shape, but it needs to come off. After I cut it off, I can disect it, and determine why it wouldn't release. Maybe, after I have it off, i will post a pic of the mangled remains. That will be sharp.

Don

You got to do what you got to do. Got me to chuckling though - I can just see you standing on the seats and pulling till the veins in your forehead are standing out!

Seems like I might have done that a time or two - :D

Tear it up Don!!

Steve

I gave it another try this evening, and it isn't coming off. Right now, if you grab the knob, you can move it back and forth, so it has some play in it. I am going to make the assumption, that the spring clip, is broken, and it must be lodged in such a way, that prevents the broken part, from disengaging the stem. When I tell you that I have used extreme force to pull straight up on the knob, I'm not joking. This evening, I went out to the car, with the mindset, that the knob is coming off, period. I started pulling, and decided, I am going to give it all I've got. If the knob comes off, and I end up breaking the rearview mirror, oh well. I just want this thing off. Didn't work though. Well, I am going to cut on Saturday. I hate to do it, becaused the shift knob is in great shape, but it needs to come off. After I cut it off, I can disect it, and determine why it wouldn't release. Maybe, after I have it off, i will post a pic of the mangled remains. That will be sharp.

Don

Dadillac,

Did I miss something here?

You have a new know to install, right?

What does it look like on the inside?

Wouldn't that help determine how to finagle the old one off...

Just my 2 sense...

Man I tried everything. I looked inside the new one, so I have an idea of how everything looks. The thing just wouldn't come off. Until, this afternoon. The stubborn shifter knob, meet Mr. Milwaukee. I tore the pig up, and the new shifter knob is now in it's rightful place. Let me see if I can post a pic, of the SOB that wouldn't let go. Oh, and by the way, the clip wasn't broken, as I had thought.

Don

post-3-1102633274.jpg

Dadillac,

I almost hate to ask this...but I have to out of scientific curiosity.

Did you try to remove the new knob yet - per the instructions?

Yea buddy, Mr. Milwaukee - I love it! I used one a few years ago to demobilize a 25,000-gallon tank, pump, piping and electric controls (with wires - but off). It really was a lot of semi-controlled mayhem mixed with near-carnal pleasure. Less fires, etc than a cutting torch or plasma rod and way easier than a sledge hammer. They had to keep me away from tall structure base bolts - so tempting...

In any case, I'm certain that we are all happy for you - that you got yer knob off! :P

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I had a leather one from eBay....cheap $10....thougt I would try it. Turns out I do like the wood DTS one better.

Mine popped right off.....

The object at the lower right in your photo of the remains looks for all the world like the C-clip retainer I mentioned in my earlier post. I'm wondering if your '02 had the earlier method of attachment after all.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Archived