CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2000 STS- code B1923: memory circuit improperly grounded

First post, i was not for sure where to place this issue. Just purchased a 2000 STS with 118000 miles. Other than a few cosmedic issues and needing new tires the car checked out. No owners manual. I am hoping to buy one on ebay. At 120000 miles and after the car was detailed (cleaned really good) the service engine soon light came on. Code was B1923, memory clear circuit improperly grounded. I don't know what this means and obviously no idea how to fix it. I tried to reset the codes, but I am not for sure if I did it correctly (nothing changed). I also unhooked the battery overnight, hoping for a reset, but that didn't help either. Any ideas? Thanks

First post, i was not for sure where to place this issue. Just purchased a 2000 STS with 118000 miles. Other than a few cosmedic issues and needing new tires the car checked out. No owners manual. I am hoping to buy one on ebay. At 120000 miles and after the car was detailed (cleaned really good) the service engine soon light came on. Code was B1923, memory clear circuit improperly grounded. I don't know what this means and obviously no idea how to fix it. I tried to reset the codes, but I am not for sure if I did it correctly (nothing changed). I also unhooked the battery overnight, hoping for a reset, but that didn't help either. Any ideas? Thanks

Several problems with your post; maybe you can provide more information.

First, a "B" (Body) code will not turn on the 'service engine soon' light.

Second, I have a searchable code definition text file and I cannot find any code with the numerical suffix 1923. Perhaps the number was a typo?

Third, what method are you using to clear (reset) codes? You might want to try this method;

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

B1923 Air Bag Memory Clear Circuit Short To Ground

On a web search this turned up as a BMW code. GM may not use it. It's a generic, out there for all manufacturers. But if your design doesn't use a memory clear circuit with a wire in the harness, you won't have the code. This is a 2000 STS. My 2011 CTS-V does not have a B1923 code in the FSM. Anyone with a 2000 STS FSM?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Missed the code last time, code is P0741. From what I read, looks like I just leave it alone. Transmission has been smooth so far, but I haven't hit it hard either. The service engine soon light is off. Thanks for the info.

P0741 TCC System Stuck Off

If that's a HISTORY code and not a CURRENT code, and it's your only code, it may be that the car was just sitting for awhile before you got it. The fact that the MIL went out means that the code has gone to HISTORY. If the problem doesn't recur, the code will go away by itself eventually. I suggest that you get the transmission serviced as part of the got-a-used-car routine. The way things are done these days, it's quite possible that the transmission has *never* been serviced and I believe that GM does recommend that you have the transmission serviced at 100,000 miles.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived