CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Update to this saga. Last night, I went to the dealership to see, test drive and maybe purchase the 08 STS that I've mentioned above. Wow, it was really awful. RIght off the bat:

1. Rust in the roof right where the windshield and roof meet, and right in the center. It already started "bubbling" or cracking. Bad sign #1.
  2. Pressing the key on the fob to remote start the car is supposed to start the car, not move the driver's side-view mirror as this one did, and with a 'cracking' noise. Sounded like a bad actuator to me but still, the mirror shouldn't move when you start the car.
  3. Thin chrome bezel that goes around the grille was broken, there was still some old glue on the grille where I guess they tried to fix it.
  4. TPMS light on on the dash was on, as well as low tire pressure light in the top right.
  5. When I pulled down the passenger vanity mirror/visor, the cover fell off and almost hit me in the head.
  6. Bad scrapes under the grille.
  7. Car had winter tires and ugly aftermarket rims.
  8. Engine not responsive; but this might just be the nature of the 3.6 V6, since I'm used to the N* V8.

Funny how they told me on the phone and via email that it was a clean car. After I declined last night, the manager told me they were going to wholesale the car anyway, what a joke.

So, I said thanks but no thanks. On my way out to go home (very dejected, I might add), I saw a gorgeous black/black 2009 STS4 with 71K km, 3.6L V6, everything except Nav, and in absolutely beautiful condition. When a Caddy is beautiful, it's exquisite and this one is no exception. Everything just WORKS, and it is a stunning vehicle. So I'm just waiting to hear what kind of a deal they can arrange for me, they lowered the price by an extra $1000 and that plus the trade and downpayment should help. But it ain't over till the fat lady sings, as the saying goes.

If this doesn't work out, I will either a) keep the 03 (which is still so beautiful and rides great but is slowly breaking) and drive it till it dies, maybe fixing the shocks/struts and tires, b ) try to sell the 03 or, c) try to trade in the 03 for another vehicle that might be less costly but still low miles and in great shape. They also have an 09 Malibu LT2 which is a real looker, in fact sometimes from the side and front I think it resembles the lines of the Caddys. But that's probably my sick mind at work. :)

Anyway I'll keep you all posted. Last night while driving home down the highway doing 100/110 km/hr with no traffic and the skyline in front of me, I was happy as a pig in s***, the V8 Northstar is an amazing engine and this Seville just flies. I just wish it weren't such a money pit.

Thanks, guys and gals!

Most people, and mechanics, evaluate the choices for every repair as if the car was going up for trade or sale Monday morning instead of deciding what you want to drive for the next four years or so, which inevitably leads to a car going downhill to the scrap yard instead of providing the service, performance, and comfort that you bought the car for as long as you want to drive it.

People like you and me that don't do their own work anymore need to find one or two good service people that they trust and that they agree with on the maintenance and future of the car.

It sounds like you are well on the way to straightening out your 2003 and that perhaps you might consider keeping it instead of spending money on another used car.

Thanks Jim. Actually I agree with all that you wrote. I'm lucky if I can find the gas cap LOL ...well not that bad but I just want a reliable and beautiful looking and luxurious, great riding car that make me smile when I"m in the driver's seat. For the most part, my 03 STS does that. But every time I get in the car I wonder what'll go next. True shame.

Local Chevy dealer here had a mint black on black 2008 STS4 on the lot most of last winter but its gone now. It supposedly was never actually driven in the winter but traded in last fall by a elderly couple who are snow birds and go south every fall and return in the spring. They traded in for a 2012 Yukon Denali XL GM exec driven, with every option in White Diamond. I know the salesman who sold them the Denali, he was driving it for a while as he was the STS after the Denali was sold.

Archived