CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1995 Cadillac sts

Jason15036

I was driving home last night when I noticed my tranny acting up. It was slipping in and out of gear. When I got home i checked the codes. No transmission codes a fluid was full. I indid the feeder that leads to the radiator for the cooler, I started the car and it barley has any pressure. Do you have any suggestions on what I should do.

Sounds like the tranny may need a fluid pump, although I don't recall anyone reporting having to replace a pump on these particular transmissions. How many miles does she have?

I had my flywheel crack about a month ago. At first it seemed like a possible tranny problem, then I turned the car off and I couldn't get it to start. The strange thing was that I wasn't getting any codes what so ever....A problem with the Northstar and no trouble code?...I was pleasantly shocked :) Seems like phantom tranny problems (no trouble codes) are rare on these cars.

A.J.

How hard is this transmission fluid pump to get to. Can I just drop the pan and see it or is it more complicated than that. Could it be a bad gasket, which is causing it not to pump. Is this pump electric or how does it work. I think I have a bad pcm computer would this cause it not to work or something. Please help me.

Slipping in and out of gear is not good. And there is a procedure to check the tranny fluid level. You put it, while running and the foot brake engaged, into each gear position for 3 seconds. Temperature must be above 195 - 200 is better. Then put it in Park and pull the dipstick out, wipe it off, then replace the dipstick and this time out you will get an accurate reading of the level hot.

Your fluid smell hot? Look like it's brown or dark colored? When was the last time it was serviced? I'll look in my book tonight, it's a 94, but I'm thinking the pump is inside where you have to pull the thing to replace it. And if it's slipping the clutches are probably already bad.

Bummer - those 4T80Es are expensive. There are a couple of guys on here that have pulled and repaired them so hopefully they will respond and help you out more than I have.

Steve

How hard is this transmission fluid pump to get to. Can I just drop the pan and see it or is it more complicated than that. Could it be a bad gasket, which is causing it not to pump. Is this pump electric or how does it work. I think I have a bad pcm computer would this cause it not to work or something. Please help me.

After you drop the pan, there is a drain plug (bolt) up there to drain the side cover (where the fill cap is) which holds the majority of the trans fluid I believe.

Archived