CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

CAR DIED ON MY WIFE AGAIN!

PAUL T

My wife was driving our 92 Deville (4.9 engine, 73000 miles) home when at decelerating on an off ramp it just died. Then to make matters worse it would not start. She had this happen once before and I changed the FPR and all was well. This time she noticed that the gas pedal was flucuating under her foot as it was decelerating on the ramp then died. It was towed home and today I had a chance to look at it. She also informed me that it quit once before when she came to a stop sign a few days before but started back up. I checked the FPR and no gas was at the vacuum nipple. I then had my wife turn the engine over and it fired but did not start. I then noticed that the ISC was fully depressed and not touching the throttle, so I had her try to start it again and I manually operated the throttle and it started. The ISC plunger finally extended to where the car would idle. The only code was E27 - open throttle switch signal. The ISC connection looks O.K., could it be a bad ISC or does the EGR need checked and cleaned?

New and properly adjusted ISC motor and thoroughly cleaned TB are probably all you need. 70-80kmiles - that's what ISC motors usually last (from my experience).

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I seem to recall Guru once saying something about the throttle switch in the ISC being servicable or replaceable or something like that. Worst case, replace the ISC. That's your problem.

Archived