CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

coolant leak

skyman

My 05 DeVille has had a very slow coolant leak for around three years now. So small the my mechanic up in NY said wait a while and lets see if it gets worse so we can see it. The car has never gone past normal on the temp gauge, even in the hottest temps with the a/c on.The plastic resevour has never run dry but the check coolant message comes on every two weeks or so...I add some antifreeze to the plastic resevour and it will slowly drop down to about 2 inches. Since then I've moved to Fl. Last oil change we were looking under the engine and could see minute drops of anti freeze that had dripped down to the bottom of the engine. My new mechanic says he suspects it's where the heater hose connects to the block. I think somewhere on the drivers side of the engine. He says it's an O ring connection and they shrink and then leak. I just turned 100k on the car yesterday.

Anyone ever have this problem?

Yes they have been a problem and you can verify with a small mirror. Head bolts loosen up over time along with crossover gaskets leak. What part of FL are you located ?

If it is leaking out of the heater hose outlet tube in the back of the crossover I have pulled the old guts out and replaced with the new guts from the new nipple in a pinch dorman 800-401

I have had rotten luck with the quick connect fittings. I remove them and use a 1/2 pipe thread to 5/8 barb and use a hose.

The original fittings are made out of pot metal and are failure prone. Also like to snap off. I didnt know they used them on cadillac but I know alot of GMs use them

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

They did break off in the intake of the 96-00 R 350 Vortec engines but I haven't had one on a cadillac.

They were used in the 80s also. On the intakes. They snap off and you have to drill out and retap the intakes. I just went through one on a 95 4.3 and have another seeping one on a 92. It is like they get a minor crack from swelling and can be very difficult to pinpoint

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived