CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trunk lid alignment

jndnaps

Since I've had this car the trunk lid has always been miss aligned. What do I need to do to shift it to the left a bit? You can see the gap on the right side, It's way off. The car was never wrecked either. I've been all through this car and it was checked thoroughly for any kind of frame damage when I bought it. Original owners say it was like this when they bought it new and never bothered with it.. Didn't bother them.. Is this something I'm better off taking to a shop? It's getting harder for me to get my fat arse in the trunk.. :huh:

CaddyInfo7_zps3bfbb43c.jpg

CaddyInfo8_zpsbf243b10.jpg

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

You will need to loosen the bolts that fasten the deck lid to the hinges and shift the deck lid over toward the side with the biggest gap. This could be a long repetitive task... I'd measure the gaps and calculate how much you need to move the deck lid and then place a mark on the deck lid by the hinge attachment point so you have a reference point on how far to move the lid.

Keep in mind that you might not be able to center the deck lid due to the build characteriatics of the rest of the car.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

You will need to loosen the bolts that fasten the deck lid to the hinges and shift the deck lid over toward the side with the biggest gap. This could be a long repetitive task... I'd measure the gaps and calculate how much you need to move the deck lid and then place a mark on the deck lid by the hinge attachment point so you have a reference point on how far to move the lid.

Keep in mind that you might not be able to center the deck lid due to the build characteristics of the rest of the car.

Thanks for the info.. Wasn't sure if I had to do that or where the hinge attaches to the package tray area in the trunk. It leaks on the right side. I change the weatherstripping and it stops leaking for about a year and then starts up again. I'm guessing the water is going over the WS when it wears down because it doesn't seal right. When you say I might not be able to center it, is that because the latches are welded?

well. There is only so much you can adjust it. Work carefully as a little budge goes a long way. You may also have to move the latch a little to compenstate for the adjustment. Bear in mind the adjustment controls forward and back also. I usually snug 2 bolts, check, adjust, resnug, etc... til it is perfect. it can be a tedious job and can take some time.

Believe it or not I have had good luck removing the latch and fully closing by hand therefore if it is off it wont hit the body panels. You can move it fully by hand. My right fender on my 96 is off by a little bit and I see no repair or damage. Looks to be original. I dont mess with it because it works and somehow I can live with it.

My trunk is also off slightly but it is not the actual lid. I had to replace the back bumper due to a minor fender bender and it was slightly off.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

well. There is only so much you can adjust it. Work carefully as a little budge goes a long way. You may also have to move the latch a little to compenstate for the adjustment. Bear in mind the adjustment controls forward and back also. I usually snug 2 bolts, check, adjust, resnug, etc... til it is perfect. it can be a tedious job and can take some time.

Believe it or not I have had good luck removing the latch and fully closing by hand therefore if it is off it wont hit the body panels. You can move it fully by hand. My right fender on my 96 is off by a little bit and I see no repair or damage. Looks to be original. I dont mess with it because it works and somehow I can live with it.

My trunk is also off slightly but it is not the actual lid. I had to replace the back bumper due to a minor fender bender and it was slightly off.

Thanks for the info. I've done fenders before and a hood, never a trunk lid.. I guess it's basically the same as the hood then.. I know if I bought the car new the dealer would have fixed that before I took it. When I picked up my new 87 442 the left front fender was out a bit on the bottom near the door and I had them fix that.. Anyways, I'll take out the latch like you said.. I just had the bottom latch out because it wouldn't pull the lid down. Took it apart and cleaned it all up and it's working again. That's what got me to want to align the truck lid..

Archived