CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

97 Caddy deville mulitple miss fires

Get a pencil and paper ready, then turn on the key and wait for a few seconds. Then, press the A/C buttons <Off> and <Pass Warmer> together for a few seconds until all the dash lights turn on like you just turned on the key, then release the buttons. The car's computer enters the diagnostic mode and the driver information display will then display the OBD codes, one at a time. They will be of the form

PCM P0300 CURRENT

The most important parts are the letter and four numbers, P0300 in the example, and the notation CURRENT or HISTORY following the code. If you miss one, the list will end with the prompt "PCM?" At that point you can press <Off> and the process will start over and you can check your list and catch any codes you missed. When you are done, turn off the key. You can cancel the diagnostic mode by pressing the Auto button on the A/C or the Info Reset button without turning off the key.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Ok I did the code search and these are the codes that came up PCM Current 0231,300,1626,1654,1380 IPC B190 SDM C1235 CCU U1064 RFA B2560..... These are all the current codes I have a bunch of History codes as well

These are the problems that your PCM, IPC, DIM, etc. report as CURRENT:

P0231 Fuel Pump Feedback Circuit Low Voltage
P0300 Engine Misfire Detected
P1626 Theft Deterrent Fuel Enable Signal Not Received
P1654 Cruise Control Inhibit Output Circuit
P1380 Misfire Detected - Rough Road Data Not Available
IPC B190 ???
C1235 Right Rear Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted
U1064 Loss of Communications with DIM
B2560 RKE Message Validation Error

This is entirely too many codes. Something seems to be shorting out your wiring harness, like water from power-washing under the hood. But, here goes.

The P0231 indicates a bad fuel pump relay. Usually when this code is CURRENT the car will stall and/or won't start.

The P3000 and P1380 indicate that you have a continuing miss, and have driven on a rough road while experiencing this miss. But you have been telling us this.

The P1626 means that there is a problem in the theft deterrent system, including the pellet in your key, the contacts in the ignition switch, the testing and logic in the DIM, and the signal to the PCM to allow the car to star. This won't cause the miss but you should be getting a message on the DIM such as "WAIT THREE MINUTES" or "CAR MAY NOT RESTART."

The P1654 means that the logic that keeps the cruise control from engaging can't talk to the PCM, probably because of a wiring problem. I would have to look up this code in the PCM to see where to look.

The code "IPC B190" is incomplete. I can't tell what this code is.

C1235 means that the wheel speed sensor on the hub of the right rear wheel is loose or disconnected, or there is a problem with the wire from there back to the electronics behind the rear seat.

U1064 means that the climate control unit can't talk to the DIM. The purple wire in your wiring harness is usually the network wire, and there is a network problem between the DIM and the CCU, which is part of the controller under the dash for the air mix doors for the A/C.

The B2560 means that the fob didn't unlock the car. It could have been a bad signal, a fob for the wrong car, or the fob needs to be resynchronized or reprogrammed.

This is too many codes for a normal situation. Usually when this happens but the car is still running, you have a bad battery or battery cable connection, or you just power-washed under the hood or under the car.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Low fuel pressure would cause misfires. If you have a fuel pressure gage check the fuel pressure.

The fuel pump code indicates a bad ground, relay, corrosion on connectors, grounds, fuses, etc or even a bad fuel pump. Something is causing reduced voltage on the feedback circuit from the fuel pump

By the way, does the car start?, with the P1626, I am surprised it starts, is the P1626 a history or current code?

Check the battery by the way to make sure it is 100% good along with the battery connectors, that would cause a whole bunch of problems, have it load tested to eliminate the battery.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I just noticed that you say that you have a new battery. A corroded battery cable connection can cause these same problems, too.

Archived