CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

C&D: Walks & Talks like a Volt, But doesn't LOOK like a Volt

2014 Cadillac ELR
Deliver By: 2014

cadillac-elr-inline-photo-511202-s-origi

Looking very much like the Chevy Volt–based Cadillac Converj concept from the 2009 Detroit show, the chiseled ELR is, by and large, a reskinned Volt. But it's one that will seem right at home in Caddy showrooms, channeling both the gorgeous CTS coupe and the buttoned-down ATS sedan. Sporty proportions and 20-inch wheels hint at improvements to the Volt's chassis. These include swapping in GM's HiPer anti-torque-steer front struts, adding a Watt's link to the torsion-beam rear suspension, and fitting computer-controlled adaptive dampers.

Let's hope Cadillac applied its newfound chassis-tuning prowess to the ELR, because aside from the suspension and styling, there's not much else in the ELR's spec sheet promising to make it any more electrifying than the Chevy version. While GM did tweak the electric-drive system to allow more output from the battery pack, providing an additional 58 horsepower, the parts and their functions are identical to the Volt's. Thus, the same T-shaped, 288-cell, 16.5-kWh lithium-ion battery pack is squirreled away underneath, and an identical 1.4-liter Ecotec four-cylinder engine lives underhood.

Read More: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2014-cadillac-elr-25-cars-worth-waiting-for-20142017-future-cars

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I believe the ELR will have a few unique control functions not available to the Volt. One I've heard about it the paddle(s) on the steering wheel that can be used for on-demand 'regen'; this might be used in certain traffic conditions where there would be no need for friction braking and no need for coasting (say going down a hill with no appreciable traffic and using 'regen' to slow down and 'steal' back a few 'electrons' for the battery. But yes, the big differentiator, will be styling and upscale content.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Archived