CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2005 STS

Dasher

I went for a drive in the 2005 STS again today; but this time I spent some time in the back seat. That baby is SMALL! After that, I went and sat in the back seat of a CTS. If there is a difference, it's not measureable. I guess it isn't any smaller than my 2000 in the front seat; but it FEELS smaller.

This was a V-8 and it's simply a great drivng car; but I'm having a hard time getting past the RWD for Michigan and the small size. I'm having a hard time selling myself and, when it comes to the STS, I'm usually an easy sell.

I wrote the same thing about two months ago and I didn't even attempt to get in the back seat.

Looks like the DTS is my future until they shrink wrap that one.

If the STS means Seville Touring Sedan then they must mean short tours.

My '98 STS may become a collectors item at this rate.

The SRX apparently has a lot of rear seat leg room. Then of course, the Escalade ESX has tons of room.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

The SRX is a modified SUV/Wagon. Kind of misses the mark if you are a luxury sedan type of guy.

Perhaps I missed a joke. My '98 STS was my third Caddy, second brand new. It fit like a glove the first time I drove it. Other Caddy's had the power but not the stability of this little beauty. ( Right hand turns at 50mph and all of that). I'm old now, wish I could have afforded them when I was younger. But I can still enjoy a few thrills (like the time I outran a cop).

In my case getting old wound up in upsizing of the old bod. The new STS just didn't do it for me. Narrow seat and small inside. Not claustrophobic, but not comfortable either.

I also realize that Caddy needs to appeal to more than us old codgers and I don't blame them. After all, we will be dying off and they need a future. But to me a luxury sedan needs to give you space as much as power and driveability (and reliability) and I will continue to look for those features.

What pains me is that in US manufactured cars, Cadillac presently has no equals. That is why I hope they don't fool around with the DTS in the future.

What pains me is that in US manufactured cars, Cadillac presently has no equals. That is why I hope they don't fool around with the DTS in the future.

Sorry to report the Devilles will be smaller in '06. Large cars will be harder to find (new) in the near future as the car makers face higher CAFE requirements.

My bride cannot get comfortable in our STS (she calls it my 4 door Corvette) so we picked up a DTS last week. I don't care for the styling of the current Devilles but it is hard to dislike the ride and performance; it is truly an Interstate cruiser. And a bit of a sleeper when the younger set sees gray hair behind the wheel.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

JimD,

See this from another thread ( 2006 Deville DTS )

http://info.detnews.com/autosinsider/sneak...ex.cfm?id=15611

This does not appear to be smaller than the 2005 unless maybe an inch or two. It is the same FWD platform.

If you have something more current would like to have a link to it.

Thanks.

PS: For the complete post read the one by Bruce Nunnaly on that thread.

Sorry to report the Devilles will be smaller in '06. Large cars will be harder to find (new) in the near future as the car makers face higher CAFE requirements.

We can always look forward to the Sixteen!

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

We can always look forward to the Sixteen!

Cadillac (GM) must have a very short memory. I don't recall the late 80's Devilles going over very well. ARE YOU LISTENING GM!

Sorry to report the Devilles will be smaller in '06.

??? how do you know this/what is your data source?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I got it all messed up. The article I was reading said the Deville was going Sigma in the future (2008?) with a spyshot picture of a 2006 Seville in camo.

And I failed to seperate the text from the picture. Strike my earlier comment.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

A bit off the mark (a little to the rear) but, I spent a bit of time playing around with the new STS at SEMA a few weeks back and yes, the back seat area is quite a bit smaller but did any of you look into the trunk??!! Geezz... good luck getting anything close to what us earlier Seville drivers are used to! That right there might stop me. Forget long trips with all the neccessary luggage, or trips to the airport picking up family or dropping a few of. The opening was so small (comparitively) that you would be 'wrassiling' to cram stuff in there.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Yeah, the trunk isn't as important to me as the back seat so I guess I forgot to mention it; but I was surprised at the size, or lack thereof. It seems that Caddy was just so interested in beating the "marques" that it didn't take into consideration the needs of its customers.

Oh well, we'll always have the Bentley. I'm going to start saving my money. I just figured it out and, if they don't raise the prices any, I think I can afford one by 2038 when I'll be 110 years old. It will give me something to look forward to.

A bit off the mark (a little to the rear) but, I spent a bit of time playing around with the new STS at SEMA a few weeks back and yes, the back seat area is quite a bit smaller but did any of you look into the trunk??!! Geezz... good luck getting anything close to what us earlier Seville drivers are used to! That right there might stop me. Forget long trips with all the neccessary luggage, or trips to the airport picking up family or dropping a few of. The opening was so small (comparitively) that you would be 'wrassiling' to cram stuff in there.

I looked at an '05 STS at my local dealer the other day.....With the front seat all the way back, there is only room in the back seat for a double amputee.....

I am not a truck/SUV person but if the cars keep getting smaller, that's what I will be forced to drive....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I looked at an '05 STS at my local dealer the other day.....With the front seat all the way back, there is only room in the back seat for a double amputee.....

I am not a truck/SUV person but if the cars keep getting smaller, that's what I will be forced to drive....

That's why I just won't let go of my Suburban. Yeah, it's almost ten years old, with over 100K miles, but you can easily pile seven people into it with a bunch of luggage and go about anywhere...

What did I hear somebody call it one time..."A cowboy Cadillac"?

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I don't see the '05 STS doing very well; that is unless Cadillac decides to come out with an STS-V with a cool mesh grille for '06!! I checked out a maroon STS at my local dealership and I could not tell much difference between it and a CTS. The interior was OK, but I like the inside of my '97 much better. Seems kind a' cramped for a "touring" sedan. Oh well, maybe it's one of those designs that has to grow on you.

Dasher,

Your post ( Re: Bentley ) gave me a good belly laugh. It reminded me of the old joke "I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, provided I die by next Tuesday."

I have often thought in the wake of the car shrinking wave that a good business could be made of buying up these older models and bring them up to current specs and selling them with new car warranties.

We are of an age when big was good. When the size and power of a car fulfiiled our imagination of what a car should be. If I were a younger man I just might pursue such an endeavor.

Oh well, I can dream, can't I? :rolleyes:

I sat in a top of the line fully loaded 05 sts at a dealership and I thought it was very nice. When I sat in the back seat I really didn't think the rear leg room was that much worse than my friends 98 sts, but of course it has no where near the leg room as my 95 concours. I am not a tall person, but my friends 98 doesn't exactly have enough leg room in the back with the front seats back either. The one thing that I should have looked at but didn't was the trunk. But I can see what Bob D is talking about. I like the new STS and I think cadillac did a good job on it and if I had the money I would def buy one. But I don't..... so I'll have to wait until it depreciates in value in a few years like most of our cadillacs have done. I can't wait to see what the sts-v is going to look like, and to see its final specs.

I think this is the reason Cadillac has offered engine choices with the V6 and V8 in the STS, they are competing with the likes of AUDI and others. Notice that they are aluminum DOHC and VVT engines. The W12 is a 6.0 liter 450 hp engine.

A8 4.2 quattro Specifications

Model Configuration

335 hp with 6-speed Tiptronic® transmission and quattro® all-wheel drive

Engine

DOHC all-aluminum 90-degree 4.2 liter V8 with 5 valves per cylinder, variable valve timing and intake manifold

Displacement: 4.2 Liter (4172 cc)

Bore: 3.33 in.

Stroke: 3.66 in.

Compression ratio: 11.0:1

Horsepower: 335 @ 6500 rpm

Torque: 317 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm

A8 L W12 quattro Specifications

Model Configuration

450 hp with 6-speed Tiptronic® automatic transmission and quattro® all-wheel drive

Engine

DOHC all-aluminum 6.0 liter W12 with 4 valves per cylinder, variable valve timing and intake manifold

Displacement: 6.0 Liter (5998 cc)

Bore: 3.30 in.

Stroke: 3.55 in.

Compression ratio: 11:1

Horsepower: 450 @ 6200 rpm

Torque: 428 lb-ft @ 4000 - 4700 rpm

SAME WITH THE A6

A6 3.2 Specifications

Model Configuration

255 hp with 6-speed Tiptronic® transmission and quattro® all-wheel drive

Engine

DOHC all-aluminum 90-degree 3.2 V6 with FSI® Direct Injection, variable intake valve timing and intake manifold

Displacement: 3.2 liters (3123 cc)

Stroke: 3.65 in.

Compression ratio: 12.5:1

Horsepower: 255 hp @ 6500 rpm

Torque: 243 lb-ft @ 3250 rpm

A6 4.2 Specifications

Model Configuration

335 hp with 6-speed Tiptronic® transmission and quattro® all-wheel drive

Engine

DOHC all-aluminum 90-degree 4.2 liter V8 with 5 valves per cylinder, variable valve timing and intake manifold

Displacement: 4.2 liters (4163 cc)

Stroke: 3.65 in.

Compression ratio: 11.0:1

Horsepower: 335 @ 6500 rpm

Torque: 310 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm

Archived