CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Won't Start

CANADIANCADDY

My young son just called me to say our 1998 STS won't start despite having lots of battery power. He says nothing at all happens when he turns the key except that all the dash lights that normally come on are working fine. He says he hears no clicking when he turns the key and no power to the engine is evident. As I am out of town I told him to tow it to my mechanic. The problem my mechanic is having however is that he cannot replicate the problem and says the car turns over fine at the moment. This is no doubt a intermittent problem and was wondering if any of you might have an idea as to what could be wrong.?

Thanks

Paul

It's probably a "lazy switch". Next time it acts up try to start the car in Neutral, or move the gear selector while the key is in ignition mode. This issue has been discussed many times. Search for"starter problem", "wont start" etc. Another possibility is electrical connections, cables, grounds. Check all of them really carefully.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

• 1 month later...

MAN, I LOVE the internet! I was having this same problem today, so I come to this site, search a couple of key words, follow the advice of adallak, and viola! Fixed! :D

Where else can you diagnose an electrical problem in a Cadillac in under 5 minutes?

Thanks Bruce, for the site, and adallak, for the knowledge! :D

Now, time to search out a way to fix it permanently.....

OK, I just did a search for "wont start", (which got me to this thread initially), "lazy switch", and "starter problems" without finding any info on fixing this problem for good.

Does anyone know what exactly is failing to cause this problem?

95 Eldo---Sold!

05 STS4-WooHoo!!!!!

Why exactly does it do this. It almost sounds like the same thing that happens when u try to start the car in drive. I did this one day and scared myself thought there was something drasticly wrong!!!!!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

MAN, I LOVE the internet! I was having this same problem today, so I come to this site, search a couple of key words, follow the advice of adallak, and viola! Fixed! :D

Where else can you diagnose an electrical problem in a Cadillac in under 5 minutes?

Thanks Bruce, for the site, and adallak, for the knowledge! :D

Now, time to search out a way to fix it permanently.....

OK, I just did a search for "wont start", (which got me to this thread initially), "lazy switch", and "starter problems" without finding any info on fixing this problem for good.

Does anyone know what exactly is failing to cause this problem?

It is possible that the neutral safety switch is out of adjustment or defective. The switch is mounted in the transaxle where the shift cable connects to the transaxle. You will need to refer to the service manual for the adjustment procedure.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived