CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

OBD Code List & Coolant Level Message - '02 Deville

I have a 2002 Cadillac DeVille, way back when I first got the car, i found a listing of the on-board diagnostics codes, printed them and placed them in the glovebox for future reference. For about the past 3 months or so, the digital display has been showing "CHECK COOLANT LEVEL" within a 2-3 minutes of pulling the car out of park and starting to drive. I've checked the coolant level every 2-3 times per week since this message began to appear - The coolant level is perfectly normal. :unsure:

With all this said, I have a few questions, and after reading just bits and piecies of some of the other threads, I have no doubt I'll have answers shortly.

1. What would be causing the "CHECK COOLANT LEVEL" message to continue being displayed when the levels are normal?

2. Could someone provide a link to the correct Diagnostic Codes for the 2002 model year Deville (VIN Y)

FYI: Just incase this helps; Last 8 digits of VIN: 2U125344

Thanks in advance for any help provided, as it's greatly appreciated.

Shane

....What would be causing the "CHECK COOLANT LEVEL" message to continue being displayed when the levels are normal?

The float that actuates the switch that toggles that message can stick in the wrong position. Sometimes a few moderate taps on the side of the reservoir with a rubber hammer will dislodge the float. Sometimes the wire harness at the bottom of the reservoir is not connected properly following reservoir removal/installation. Sometimes a new reservoir is needed to correct the problem.

Could someone provide a link to the correct Diagnostic Codes for the 2002 model year Deville (VIN Y)

Be very careful using web-based code definitions; some sources are much more comprehensive and accurate than others. My preference is a text file that I have been editing for about 13 years to include codes that do not apply to Northstar engines. As engine designs and chassis systems evolve, codes are added to the list as required.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Some of the higher-numbered codes are different from manufacturer to manufacturer and even from year to year. Occasionally even a three-digit OBD code (0nnn) will be different. A shop manual for your model year is the definitive authority on all OBD codes from that car.

My personal list is very good for OBD I and OBD II Cadillacs of the 1990's with some codes for later models that aren't thrown by the earlier Northstar systems. Occasionally i have found more than one definition for a code; when I find that I put both definitions in my list. You should be able to use it for a 2003 model with the caveat that once in a long while a code may have changed over time.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived