CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Beware! Headlight Change!

CadiKing

Hi Everyone,

Well I finally changed the four headlight bulbs to Silverstar

due to the praise about them from members of this site.

I really don't see the improvement, but that's subjective...

My problem was the cheap screws, holding the assemblies in

are not stainless, so they rusted into the 'speedclip' nuts.

I wasn't paying much attention and the speed nuts spun around

ruined the cheap plastic brackets. On the two screws without

speed nuts, the plastic had become brittle with age (?), the plastic

desintegrated when I loosened the screws. I will construct some new plastic pieces out of fiberglass laminate.

So let that be a lesson to all of us...Pay Attention to the plastic! LOL

Now for my question...

What Bulbs can I use to replace the foglights to match the Silverstars?

thanks,

What screws did you need to remove?

On my 93' STS you just lift the beauty panel flap, release the headlight electrical connection and then twist the bulb to remove it.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Will the 880 bulbs work? They have a straight socket and the factory 886 bulb has a 90 degree bend in it. I have been holding off on the SilverStars pending a matching fog light bulb.

Charles

Charles

The 880's are what is for my 2002. Maybe I was jumping the gun, assuming that a 1999, would have the same bulb. If the 880 is the wrong bulb, I apologize. Go to www.sylvania.com, and check there. You type in your car, and it lists all of the bulbs.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

In my '99 STS, I replaced all four headlights and the fogs with Silverstar. They have an exact replacement for the fogs. I bought them at Schucks or Checker auto parts. Same company. I can see quite a difference in whiteness and depth of field.

So far, very happy with them.

Wayne :D

'99STS

'99ETC

post-3-1102122893.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Just another overpriced blue colored bulb that blinds and bothers other drivers. With a little modification you can put quality halogen high beam bulbs in the low beams. Huge improvement!

Typhoon

2001 STS with NAV

1994 BMW 850Ci

1993 GMC Typhoon

1988 Fiero waiting for a Northstar

1988 Toyota Supra Turbo "slightly" modified

the 880 bulb is the correct bulb for the STS

the 881 is the correct bulb for the ETC (I think...)

I made the mistake of ordering an 881 equivalent bulb and didn't realize it was the wrong part until I tried to install them... With that 90 degree twist in the plug it is nearly impossible to get them in. Getting the car up on stands and removing the air spoiler underneath was not fun... but it will be easier the next time around when the new bulbs arrive.

Hi Everyone,

Just another overpriced blue colored bulb that blinds and bothers other drivers. With a little modification you can put quality halogen high beam bulbs in the low beams. Huge improvement!

I replaced the high and low beam headlights in my 93' STS with the Silverstars. A distinct improvement in visibility. A Little pricey, but not a big deal.

They don't appear to bother oncoming drivers. I drive on two lane rural roads and no one has "flashed" me to ask me to turn off the high beams (when they are on low).

HID's are way to expensive to buy and modify to fit my car, putting a high beam light bulb in the low beam socket is very easy, but not very considerate of oncoming drivers.

Probably the biggest annoyance to oncoming drivers, are badly adjusted head lights, of any type, that blind them.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

> putting a high beam light bulb in the low beam socket is very easy, but not very considerate of oncoming drivers.<

George, (et all) I've got Silverstar high beam bulbs in my low beam sockets, and although they do throw a good deal more light, they annoy no one. I've come to this conclusion after much testing including on my self (probably the easiest annoyed driver for bright lights). Bottom line, it's all in the adjustment/alignment, where the light meets the road. ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I have replaced the headlights and foglights in my 97 STS with Silverstars and I see a HUGE improvement, especially on wet roads. These lights don't give off that goofy, and annoying blue hue, and offer dramatic improvement in visibility while being subtle to other drivers. The clarity they provide is the next best thing to a true HID system at a fraction of the price. Definitely worth the investment.

I did replace the stock 886 foglamp with the 880 Silverstar.

Chazglenn3, you're welcome. The 880 works because the plugs are the same, but the 880 Silverstar lamps themselves do not have the retaining tabs that enables them to "click" into the connector. It does not seem to be a problem though as the weatherpack connector itself seems to hold the connection securely.

I refused to even turn on my old foglights with the Silverstar headlights.

On my 93' STS you just lift the beauty panel flap, release the headlight electrical connection and then twist the bulb to remove it.

-George

Thank you all for the great replies,

George, I removed the two screws along the top of the assemblies.

The outboard screw is short and only holds down the outisde of the

assembly. It is holding a small tab which broke apart when I removed

the screws...

The inboard screw is about 7" long and screws into a speed nut at the

bottom end. The speed nut spun around with a creaking noise and

cut off the tab! I have yet to replace the broken components.

thank you,

> putting a high beam light bulb in the low beam socket is very easy, but not very considerate of oncoming drivers.<

George, (et all) I've got Silverstar high beam bulbs in my low beam sockets, and although they do throw a good deal more light, they annoy no one. I've come to this conclusion after much testing including on my self (probably the easiest annoyed driver for bright lights). Bottom line, it's all in the adjustment/alignment, where the light meets the road. ;)

Hey Bob,

Yes, the Silverstars are a good light upgrade to make.

As you know Cameron Park drive has gotten very busy. I drive on it often at night and I have not had any problem with oncoming drivers flashing me, indicating they are not being blinded by my lights. :)

When I need to use the high beams there is a definite improvement in distance and brighter color. :D

Easy to recommend this to others who would like to improve their vision at night.

-George

DTS_Signature.jpg

-George

Thank you all for the great replies,

George, I removed the two screws along the top of the assemblies.

The outboard screw is short and only holds down the outisde of the

assembly. It is holding a small tab which broke apart when I removed

the screws...

The inboard screw is about 7" long and screws into a speed nut at the

bottom end. The speed nut spun around with a creaking noise and

cut off the tab! I have yet to replace the broken components.

thank you,

Those were the screws I thought you were talking about, I was just wondering why you needed to remove them, as the bulbs just twist out from the back.

Your original post got me curious about the Silverstars. After a little research I decided to try them. They turned out to be a good investment for me. Thanks for the post, to bad you are having some attachment problems. Good Luck on your repairs.

-George

DTS_Signature.jpg

[Growe3,Dec 3 2004, 03:15 PM] What screws did you need to remove?

-George

The owners manual says to remove the screws to gain access to the

bulbs. I cannot reach the bulbs without removing the lights.

thank you,

Yeah, I think the difference here is the 1997 and previous and the 1998 and newer. On 1997 and previous models, it's not required...or shouldn't be required, to have a screwdriver to change the light bulbs. You just twist the retainer ring and the bulb should pop out. It's a tight fit for sure, but tools should not be required on the 1997 and lower bulbs.

The 1998 and newer appear to have "projector" style headlights. Are they still just regular 9006 bulbs in there?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The 1998 and newer appear to have "projector" style headlights.  Are they still just regular 9006 bulbs in there?

Jadcock,

Yes 9005 & 9006 bulbs...Projector style..

Looking for the fog lights now...

thanks,

I don't know which Silverstars you're using, but the ones I have used are "bright white", not blue.

As far as replacing a low-beam bulb with a hi-beam bulb, I just don't see the need to do that as my eye sight isn't that bad nor do I wish to blind other drivers.

Jim

The 1998 and newer appear to have "projector" style headlights.  Are they still just regular 9006 bulbs in there?

Jadcock,

thanks,

For '98, the OEM fog lamp bulb was #880 (27 watt). I replaced mine with Silverstar #885 (50 watt).

"Should be" the same for '99?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Jadcock,

thanks,

For '98, the OEM fog lamp bulb was #880 (27 watt). I replaced mine with Silverstar #885 (50 watt).

"Should be" the same for '99?

tjtjwdad,

I'm not sure who suggested the lights were blue. As you said they are not.

thank you for your comment...

Thanks Jim D!

I will be out tonite buying #885 's!

I don't know which Silverstars you're using, but the ones I have used are "bright white", not blue.

The "blue" reference referrs to the blue-coating on the Silverstars to achieve the white look, while actually reducing the light output from the bulb, from what I understand. I'm not a light engineer...just passing along the "voice on the street" so to speak. I suspect the Silverstars, like the K&N filter, come with a placebo effect. I replaced Cool Blue bulbs I had (which also appeared a very bright white rather than blue) with regular Long Life halogens and got the full light output back. Although the light was whiter with the Cool Blues, the actual output was less. I understand the same occurs with the Silverstars.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

All I can say as I've used several sets of them on Ford products and I'm here to rell ya' there not blue at all and the improvement in with the illumination is quite noticable while not blinding over the stock headlights. My STS has HIDS and there is no comparision between the two.

I will say the last set I purchased was in 2002 and still going strong. If they have re-energered them since then I stand corrected.

Jim

Archived