CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

95 Eldorado low side AC port location

I replaced the compressor, filter ,dryer , etc. 2 years on my Eldorado, had a shop purge it and switch it over to 134A.

I wanted to add a little freon, picked up one of those DIY setups. The hose does not seem to fit on what I am thinking is the low side port.........

I can tell it's not up to par , andwould like to add some, compressor will not kick in.

Repair manual does not get into the AC system at all - liability issues I guess.

Thanks !

Under US law only licensed A/C coolant technicians can work on A/C systems and they must use Freon recovery systems and not bleed Freon into the air. That's why you don't see instructions that only these guys should have. I didn't know that the law took effect in 1995 but your manual may have been printed later.

The fittings for Freon-12 and Freon-134A systems are different. When you changed over your compressor, dryer, etc. did you change the fittings or components that incorporated the fittings? If not you will need an adapter that may technically be illegal to make available.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Getting certified to purchase R12 is a very easy, at home, open book, $20 test. I don't think R134a requires the certificate to purchase over-the-counter.

http://macsworldwide.wordpress.com/2010/08/31/section-609-certification-for-recovery-and-recycling-of-refrigerant/

No question a factory service manual will have all the required information needed to service the complete AC system. A Haynes manual may not...

In addition...the 1995 Eldorado model came with 134a from the factory. So the fittings should already be correct for 134a.

Thanks , I may have misspoken on the 134A - I saw the sticker that the service shop put on and was thinking it was changed over to 134A.

Actually I have a universal freon license for NYS except I haven't kept it up to date. and yes - it is a Haynes manual...so that answers that issue with the manual not covering it.

I will take another look at the fitting , but I didn't want to force it on. I know there is a noticable difference between the high side low side port - or I could be wrong.

You should not need any certificate to purchase some 134a. Lots of charging kits out there.

The fittings are different between the low and high side.

Got it to take some freon, enough to kick in the compressor - sounds like it is bad - arghhhhhh !! Pretty dang noisy , brought the pressures up and good, but still no cold air , and the lines are equal temps. , so it isn't working.

On my Seville, at the time that one went a few years ago, I opted to just put a "bypass" pulley in. It's a pulley mounted on a bracket that bolts right in where the compressor goes,worked out fine,and lived without the AC.

The Eldo is my daily driver so looks like I have a full weekend of repairs ahead soon.

passengers side half shaft , struts , and AC compressor.

I know it was a B* on the Eldo - with the tranny and oil cooler line setups all stuffed in there too. ( I replaced it with a rebuilt just over 2 years ago) - looks like a new delco this time around.Should coulda woulda.

The r134a was fully introduced by 1993. Extremely few vehicles were equipped with r12 in 93. I have only seen a few chryslers and low end late model GMs in 93 that had r12.

It is possible that there may not be sufficient freon that is making the compressor noisy. does it sound like the clutch is bad?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Under US law only licensed A/C coolant technicians can work on A/C systems and they must use Freon recovery systems and not bleed Freon into the air. That's why you don't see instructions that only these guys should have. I didn't know that the law took effect in 1995 but your manual may have been printed later.

The fittings for Freon-12 and Freon-134A systems are different. When you changed over your compressor, dryer, etc. did you change the fittings or components that incorporated the fittings? If not you will need an adapter that may technically be illegal to make available.

You do not need to be licensed to work on an A/C sysetm. If you're purchasing R-12, you need an EPA 609 card. As Logan said it is a $20 open book test. R-134a is not restricted but it is required that refrigerant be recovered from the vehicle and not vented to the air.

The r134a was fully introduced by 1993. Extremely few vehicles were equipped with r12 in 93. I have only seen a few chryslers and low end late model GMs in 93 that had r12.

It is possible that there may not be sufficient freon that is making the compressor noisy. does it sound like the clutch is bad?

GM did not make the Switch to R-134a until the 1994 model year. My '93 Fleetwood came from the factory with R-12 and still has R-12 in it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

So, SevilleDorado can do the Freon 134A work himself. But if he didn't change over the fittings to work with Freon 134A he will need an adapter.

Are there any OBD Codes? I see these on my list:

B446 Low A/C Refrigerant Condition Warning
B447 Very Low A/C Refrigerant Condition Warning [A/C Clutch]
B448 Very Low A/C Refrigerant Pressure Condition [A/C Clutch]
B449 A/C High Side Temperature Too High
B450 Coolant Temperature Too High [A/C Clutch]

A noisy system can be the compressor clutch making noise because the compressor loading is too light or it can mean the clutch needs work. It can mean that there is too much air in the system and it needs to be pumped down. That would take a trip to Pep Boys or other facility that does A/C work, unless you have a friend that has the equipment to pump down your A/C system.

I suspect that there is a leak somewhere. You just put Freon in it so a sniffer should be able to find the leak. Have you tried renting a Freon sniffer from an auto parts store?

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

If the compressor is noisy when engaged, that is a sign the system is low on oil. Usually an ounce of oil injected into the system will quiet it down.

If the compressor is noisy without the A/C turned on, that indicates a bad clutch bearing. The clutch bearing can be replaced without messing with the refrigerant charge.

If the compressor makes an intermittent squealing sound when not engaged, that usually indicates the clutch air gap is set too small.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

My '93 Ford Taurus had R12...

I still have a few cans left over from working on it... :)

Posted Image

OK, I think we are here: The system is still running on Freon-12, apparently. R134A fittings won't go on an Freon-12 system. SevilleDorado, please let us know if this is right or wrong. At this point I'm not absolutely sure which Freon it is running and I'm sure I'm not alone there.

KHE, who has considerable experience in such things in these model years, says that a noisy compressor means that it is probably low on oil. Some compressors can be drained and refilled, so that is probably a good idea, just to get a known amount of fresh oil in the compressor.

KHE also says that if it squeals when the clutch is off, the clutch air adjustment may be too narrow. I would make sure that it *is* the A/C compressor and not something like a vacuum leak, the PCV valve, the power steering pump, alternator or idler wheel that just happens to whine at a fast idle but not other engine speeds. I would also look at the belt and see if it is too loose or too tight, or worn out. If it is a serpentine belt with a spring tensioner, you may want to change it if it's been on the car 30,000 miles or more.

No way a '95 Eldorado is running on R-12 unless someone converted it which would be unbelievable. A '95 Eldo had R-134a from the factory.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Well, that settles THAT. I saw from the first post that it had been converted, and didn't think to look at the year/model in the signature. I hate it when I do that.

So, SevilleDorado can do the Freon 134A work himself. But if he didn't change over the fittings to work with Freon 134A he will need an adapter.

Are there any OBD Codes? I see these on my list:

B446 Low A/C Refrigerant Condition Warning

B447 Very Low A/C Refrigerant Condition Warning [A/C Clutch]

B448 Very Low A/C Refrigerant Pressure Condition [A/C Clutch]

B449 A/C High Side Temperature Too High

B450 Coolant Temperature Too High [A/C Clutch]

A noisy system can be the compressor clutch making noise because the compressor loading is too light or it can mean the clutch needs work. It can mean that there is too much air in the system and it needs to be pumped down. That would take a trip to Pep Boys or other facility that does A/C work, unless you have a friend that has the equipment to pump down your A/C system.

I suspect that there is a leak somewhere. You just put Freon in it so a sniffer should be able to find the leak. Have you tried renting a Freon sniffer from an auto parts store?

No I haven't done a sniff test etc. - I did contact the parts place , there is a 2 year warrenty.I replaced it in 7/2011 - yikes that's close. I also have the paperwork from the shop that charged the system and there is a note - "noisy compressor" - but after spending multipule hours on my back replaceing it , the thought was it would be ok - obviously I was wrong as was the shop. arghhhhhhhhh - thanks for the help - it is not throwing any codes that come up automatically. I have not done a code search though.

Well, that settles THAT. I saw from the first post that it had been converted, and didn't think to look at the year/model in the signature. I hate it when I do that.

Yes, my mistake , it is originnaly 134A. I " thought" they said they had converted it. ( with 6 cars I have trouble keeping track ) That and all these emails for AARP and hover round are makeing me senile.

It is the compressor, and supposedly under warrenty. I just have to bite the bullet and get it out and replace it now.

If it's under warranty you will have better luck getting it observed by bringing in the car with the paperwork. Also, the shop will recover and re-use the Freon.

Archived