CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

84'Eldorado cruise control

ralphiedee

I have been going nuts trying to figure out why I do not get any air flow into my ac vents and defroster vents.

controller is good

vaccum lines seem to be working and I even changed the power brake booster, still the same problem, then I noticed there was a vaccum line, drivers side out of the firewall hanging. The motor in this car was changed and the cruise control is not there but was on the original motor but someone took it out. After looking at some diagrams from the 84'manual I do see that the cruise control pod engine is missing. Since the cruise works on vacuum could this be the problem?

I still cannot get the parking brake to release when the car is in gear either, vaccum lines are all in.

Second question, I can live without the cruise control but is having this out causing this vacuum problem?

Cruise control pod??? Do you mean the servo? You could have a large vacuum leak that could be affecting the climate control and the emergency brake release. Is there vacuum at the line that is hanging? If so, plug it and see if the climate control works properly and the emergency brake releases.

I'd also check for vacuum at the emergency brake release servo - if there is vacuum there but it won't release, the internal diaphram is torn.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks for the reply this issue has been killing me for two years as the car is a Biarritz convertible and I only use in spring to fall so I thought I would try to tackle this again.

I could use some expertise here as I want to make sure everything under the hood was checked first then I will revisit the cabin vaccum lines.

heres some pics I just took

http://dagwaremedia.com/discvaccumline.jpg

http://dagwaremedia.com/CruiseMissing.jpg

http://dagwaremedia.com/Anotherdiscvaccumline.jpg

.jpg

Do you have vacuum at the emg. brake servo? Is there vacuum at the line that is disconnected? I'd go to the junkyard and get a cruise servo and get the cruise control back in operation if it were my car - just because I hate when something does not work properly. I wonder why the person that R&R'd the engine left the cruise servo off???

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Can you please explain the easiest way to see if I have vacuum at the emg brake? I know that if I lock the brake the pedal does not disengage. The hose is connected. I need to know if the line entering the cabin has vacuum. I just replaced the power brake booster and changed the vaccum pump as my brake pedal was a little hard. I would assume that the hose running from the vac pump into the firewall enters the cabin and the first stop is the emergency brake. But the hose on the outside is larger than the hose going to the brake servo,

I'll deal with the cruise control later, just as long as not having it in is not part of this problem.

BtW I have a part car its an 85' Biarritz , the motor was removed from that car but that motor had no cruise control, I have the emr brake servo from that car so I can always swap ( just a pain in the a#$ to remove as it's such a tight area.

Any help figuring this out is appreciated.

RD

Remove the kick panel on the driver's side and you will see the servo bolted to the E-brake assembly. Start the engine, remove the vacuum line from the servo and use your finger to see if there is vacuum on the line.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

A quicker way but not as specific a check is to start the car and let it idle for a few seconds to build up vacuum, then, put on the emergency brake. If the emergency brake doesn't release automatically when the transmission is shifted from Park to Neutral, then the vacuum probably isn't making it to the automatic brake release.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

A quicker way but not as specific a check is to start the car and let it idle for a few seconds to build up vacuum, then, put on the emergency brake. If the emergency brake doesn't release automatically when the transmission is shifted from Park to Neutral, then the vacuum probably isn't making it to the automatic brake release.

Not true - if the diaphram is ruptured in the release servo, even if there is vacuum, the brake will not release since the serv cannot actuate.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Agreed, as I said, this is not as focused on the vacuum line. But if it works, then the vacuum is there, the servo works, and the solenoid that operates the servo is good.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Ok, started the car, pressed the emg brake pedal down, put car in drive brake does not release. I have another emg brk diaphragm assuming I change it and its the same problem would it be safe to say that the vaccum is not getting in the cabin?

If so where do I start as I see the vaccum pump supplies the hoses but as I mentioned the hose coming off the v pump going to the hole underneath the p brake booster is larger than the vacuum line on the inside going to the emg brake. I would think to start directly from the vaccum pump as I have a vac meter, do you happen to know what psi I should see?

RRD

Assuming that this is boosted vacuum, from the manifold to a booster pump on the fuel pump, then to the windshield wipers and the underdash vacuum supply, you should see something like 14 inches of Mercury (14 in Hg) vacuum.

OK, thanks for that, this is what I did so far, out of the firewall driverside there is a hose that runs up near the vac pump then into a metal tub which runs into the bottom of the carburetor. Now I know there is 2 kinds of vacuum sucking and blowing. I checked for air at the place where the hose runs into the metal and I get nothing , no air in or out.

I also see that the person who put this motor in left the clamp off coming out of the carb into the metal tube. I will check again but should I get suction or air blowing on that hose?

I would think the path runs from the carburator into the cabin and supplies the emg brk with vacuum, am I right?

R

R

Someone with a 1984 vacuum diagram???

The HT-4100 is a throttle body fuel injected engine so you won't find a carbuetor anywhere.

Have you verified there is vacuum at the e-brake servo??? If not, please do so and repost back here. It is Super easy to do and would save a heck of a lot of time in diagnosing the problem... If there is not any vacuum at the servo, replacing the servo wouldn't solve the problem and you'll wind up chasing your tail.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Great idea to start from the beginning, I have a vacuum tester and wanted to make sure I do this right. Do I remove the hose from the servo and see if I get air?

should it suck in or blow out?

A little confused about that.

thx

rd

Great idea to start from the beginning, I have a vacuum tester and wanted to make sure I do this right. Do I remove the hose from the servo and see if I get air?

should it suck in or blow out?

A little confused about that.

thx

rd

Remove the vacuum line from the e-brake servo, start engine, check disconnected hose to see if vacuum is present (the hose should suck).

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Confirmed, no vacuum at brake servo hose.

Now what?

thx

rd

Was there no vacuum at the servo with the car in "drive"? I forgot to tell you to have the car in Drive or Reverse. Check that and report back. If there is not vacuum at the servo while in Drive or Reverse, then you need to trace the line from the servo back to the engine looking for a leak or disconnected line.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

From what I see the hose on the inside of the cabin goes to a grommet and the outside of that is a bigger diameter hose that goes into a 3 side tee connector which the second connection goes to a small hose plugged with a screw. This obviously had to go to the cruise control servo ( which is NOT in the car) the last tee connects a hose going to a metal tube right near the vacuum pump, runs around the front of the motor and goes into the bottom of the carburetor.

I would think that the vacuum origin is from the carburetor so if I removed the end of the hose coming out of the carb right before it goes into the metal tube should I feel vacuum there regardless if car is in drive or not?

Archived