CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Key Fob Batteries Discharging Early

coolnesss

My third key fob battery went out - about two or three months after I replaced it.

The one before it lasted a similar amount of time.

The one before that, a little longer.

I've got a key fob code about current loss, and, the seat position is rather random - most of the time it stays in its correct position, but, sometimes it moves into a random position, which I can correct by pressing the position button on the armrest.

Anyway - has anyone else's fob batteries run down like that before? Can it be pegged to the screwy key fob code?

I believe my key fob battery has a short life if I go on road trips -- my theory is the car is constantly 'sensing' the fob nearby and signaling back and forth when I am in the car 18-20 hours.

You might consider where you are buying batteries also; batteries have a shelf life. Not all batteries have the same life by brand either. Lots of variables.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I'm thinking somethig may be shorting in the fob itself - my Fleetwood is 20 years old as of March 25th and it still has the ORIGINAL battery in the fob and it still works fine. In fact all my cars still have the original battery in the fobs. Just some information.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Good info KHE. With the keyless entry the key fob has a lot more jobs on the STS-V. The car has to sense that the fob is near to allow the doors to unlock/open, and to start the car via the push button.

Bruce

Good info KHE. With the keyless entry the key fob has a lot more jobs on the STS-V. The car has to sense that the fob is near to allow the doors to unlock/open, and to start the car via the push button.

Yeah - I realize my info is out of date but the fob in question is a 2002 which is identical to my '97 STS.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Not out of date, but for a different fob operation. It is possible my fob is having an issue but it does seem to drain rapidly if kept near/in the car for an extended period.

Bruce

I would second an internal problem with the fob. It may be a bad solder joint causing a drain. Usually the batteries last years. Shoot the batteries outlast todays remotes

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Thanks to your suggestions, I took apart the fob. The circuit board, where the button contacts hit to close the circuits for the lock/unlock functions, had rather alot of black powder, which I cleaned off. Under the powder, the circuit board looks clean. I'll replace the battery and hope that the problem is solved.

Thanks!

you would be surprised. that film can cause a draw between contacts. keep us posted

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• 2 weeks later...

Archived