CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What should I do to make 96 seville drive smooth?

LindaSchifano

Linda, what do you mean by "bumpy ride"? If the ride is harsh, that may be because of the Goodyear performance tires. A set of Michelins would go a long way there. If there's a vibration when you're driving, your tires are either unbalanced or out-of-round. They should be able to be rebalanced, but they may need replacement (under warranty) if they're really out of round. Good luck.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Before I saw Jason's response I was also going to ask you to explain bumpy. Is is vibrating at high speeds or taking bumps poorly meaning that when you hit a bump it is tranferred through the body severely? Assuming that they would have replaced a bad ball joint or worn bushing when they did the struts we have to assume that mechanically the car is ok. Unless you are getting a bump induced rap or noise, in that case a worn stabilizer bar bushing may be the problem, or maybe a stabilizer link, although a bad link should have been discovered when they did the struts.

Have you checked for codes? If you want to check for system codes, get a pencil and pad, turn the ignition key on, and press the OFF and WARMER buttons on the AC. The system will do a segment check (all leds lit) and begin displaying codes, write down what you see and post it here, if you can't write it fast enough run it again. Mike

Easiest way is to lower the air pressure in the tires. You can probably get by with as low as 20 psi. Just beware that handling and fuel economy will suffer some but it will ride nice and soft.

IPB Image

Ed is right as I experience it in reverse, I put 35 F and 33 R up from 28 F and 26 F and there is a major difference in handling and how the car hits bumps. I like to run the tires harder, but my car is less stable in wet weather as a result.. Ed you think 20 psi is ok?, I have never gone that low, I would be concerned about heat buildup. Mike

20 psi should be all right but how low you can go depends a lot on the width of the tire. I've seen people run their SUV's with wider tires as low as 15 psi to smooth out the terribly rough suspension. The tires do wear out faster at lower psi, especially around the edges.

For me, I keep my tires inflated at 45 psi. Handling and fuel economy is really good this way. But it does ride a lot stiffer then when I had the 75 series balloon tires. Due to my driving style, these tires wore out in less than 10K miles. :o

IPB Image

Sure higher psi is better for mileage, but in that case tire do wear out not even, more on a center line. With lower pressure tire do wear out around the edges, as Ed Hall said.

I drive always with 29-30psi. This is the best by me.

I rode in a brand new Lexus LS430 a few days ago and was surprised how stiff the car rode. It had a very quiet cabin but it rode as hard as my Eldorado with 17 in. tires and touring suspension. It rode nothing like my parents 1987 Deville and 1996 Town Car. I think that the suspension on newer cars are designed more for handling rather then to be soft and comfortable. If you read the Consumers Report, they give high marks to cars that handle well but criticize cars thats are geared more towards being a comfortable highway cruiser such as Buick and Lincoln Town Car. As a result of these ratings, I think that car manufacturers have bent over backwards to score high on the ratings rather than take into account what people really want. Besides, lot of people make their decisions now days based on these ratings.

Is your Seville an STS? The STS rides firmer.

If you want to make your car ride softer you might try the following.

- Lower the pressure in your tires. 25-30 psi is probably realistic.

If you're still now satisfied.

- Buy tires that are geared more towards ride quality than handling (Usually the cheaper the tire, the better it rides from my experience).

- Install some 15 in tires and wheels from an older FWD Cadillac. You want a 75 series tire for the best ride such as (205/75/R15).

- Have someone remove the rear sway bars. The older cars never had them.

Note: The last two steps will guarantee ride (and handling) like cars from the late 70's and early 80's.

IPB Image

Linda,

Most of tire places do not really care of the air pressure in the tires. It may be anywhere between 25 and 45 psi. Your old tires probably were within specs or even under-inflated and provided you with a softer ride. New ones are most likely overinflated. Any experienced driver particularly a LADY will definitely notice the difference. Every psi makes difference. Bottom line - check the pressure with a good gage and compare to the specs you'll find on your driver door. If necessary make adjustments and be happy!

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived