CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

so much for a nice day

rockfangd

Thought I would share my feeling of stupidity today.

I pulled my Seville out of storage for the first time today so I could take it in for NYSI. Brought the car back home and decided to put it back in the garage.

thats where it went bad. I was inching it into its spot and managed to get a scratch on the passenger side door. It is at least 12 inches long. It just barely rubbed a box that was on the side of the garage.

It is just deep enough to catch with my fingernail but looks to be down to metal. I see no creasing in the door. I didnt even hear it rubbing on it. I didnt even know about it until I went to close the garage door and noticed the box was close.

What a way to ruin my day. Makes me wish I left it alone.

This is the first scratch on the car since I bought it. I cannot seem to get touchup paint for this car either. IT is a 3 stage paint job. I dont know what to do. I have a couple of scratches and a chip in the left fender that need to be done and I am very afraid of how much it will cost me to get them fixed.

Anyone have any good recommendations for reliable body shops around Utica, NY.

I am so bummed. Please share something someone has done to make me feel not so bad lol

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Sorry to hear. :wipetears:grouphug:

Something I have done: Two weeks after I got the 1996 STS back from the body shop with fresh paint, I bumped my metal ramps in the garage and they fell over into the car marring the paint.

Garage scrapes are what finally got me to clean out the sides of my garage!

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

ouch. Sometimes we dont learn until something happens. I knew I should have moved the box long ago, and now I did.

I would be pulling hair out if I just had it done

GM FAN FOREVER

very nice. For mine, add center pillar, 2 doors, and inches to spare. Wait inch...

GM FAN FOREVER

Texas Jim's post got a real belly-laugh out of me, and I hope it did for rockfanged too.

When I waned a detail job that included paint, I called my insurance company and asked them for advice. They are not in a position to give you just one name, but they can list the body shops that are on their approved list for fixing your car in case of an accident. A nice, knowledgeable agent will unobtrusively put them in order so the top three names are all you need to look at.

Other readers, if you do this, and something comes up months or years later, call your agent and do it over again because their list changes with the times.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I was going to recommend Dr.ColorChip (paint repair) but found this: http://scratchwizard.net/dr-colorchip-br/?gclid=CNmQ5aKduLYCFQo5nAodpB0AfA I haven't used either but thought I'd pass along my search results.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Rockfangd,

Many years ago someone scratched my new to me 91 Seville with screwdriver or something all over, not just 12 inches. I bought a red nail polish and just covered the scratches and got it out of my system. Never paid attention to it, furthermore it did not look bad at all. Do not spend $$$ and more importantly do not sweat the small stuff! :)

On a side note, garages are BAD! Do not ask how I know that... :(

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I don't know about Dr. Color Chip, though it sounds pretty good to me. I do know that you DON'T want to use the GM touch-up bottles (brush in cap) available in most auto stores. That paint turns tan in very short order and looks terrible even for stone chips.

My GUESS is that Dr. Colorchip, etc. use a colored filler that can be rubbed smooth. It won't last forever, but it should make the scratch less noticeable.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I used to use (a number of years ago) ...touch-up paint I would get at the dealer.

It was in a little bottle like fingernail polish, with a little brush in it.

If it was very thick, I would thin it to be just a little thicker than water.

I would remove about half of the bristles on the little brush, and then paint the scratch/chip, slowly layering the paint on until it was JUST A BIT higher than the surrounding area.

After letting it dry for an hour or so, I would use Ultrafine POLISH and polish that area.

With the new touch-up paint not yet cured, it would flow and blend into the scratch/chip and be almost undetectable.

Then wax it...

After waxing it, if you didn't already KNOW there had been a scratch there.... you would have a really, really hard time ever finding it

Posted Image

that is a good idea but The dealer tells me there is no way to get a touchup paint

GM FAN FOREVER

that is a good idea but The dealer tells me there is no way to get a touchup paint

I would go to a real busy, well known body shop and ask them about getting the touch up paint,

They probably have sources that the dealer never heard of.

At the same time, I would ask about them doing a BLEND spray of the damaged area.

It might cost less than you think...

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I think I have found someone to do the body work on my Seville.

The place is Imperial body works.

quoted me 1000 for everything including new pinstripe. I made appointment for may 13th.

I went over a few times to get familiar with the person and company to get ideas on how they work.

Went over the car at least 3 times to be specific.

I am hoping for the best on this. If this works out well they will be getting alot of business.

I will update this as it changes

GM FAN FOREVER

• 3 weeks later...

So I am getting curious, have not heard anything from the body shop yet. I suppose that should be a good thing. Hope it is done early next week

GM FAN FOREVER

Well I have wonderful news. I got my Seville back today. It came out excellent. It looks like a new car. I went over it thoroughly and found no flaws. words cannot explain how happy I am that I dont have to worry about the scratches anymore. You would never even know they were there.

This car is truly a passion of mine and clearly symbolizes how I feel about Cadillacs. Even the body shop tech said it was stunning. He said it is really a one of a kind cadillac color. To top this off the price they quoted me was the actual price I paid. They also washed it, waxed, and buffed it. Looks like I have a body shop for my future jobs. If it is good for me it should be good for anyone because I am the most picky person I know.

th_100_2780_zpsc62dda06.jpg

th_100_2781_zps9eccbb4a.jpg

th_100_2782_zps91cb551c.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

This is the pearlescent red, which with the diamond white, were the two premium colors for the 1997 model year. Those triple-coat colors were an extra $500 in the Eldorado and Seville, as I recall. I secretly lusted after an ETC convertible in that color at the time. And, yes, it is a rare color, far rarer than the diamond white. You can find out how rare by visiting http://www.compnine.com/vid.php (use the free one-day trial for just your own cars) and putting in our VIN. I found out that my old car's color, Dark Cherry, was denoted by RPO 77U, and was used on only 244 units out of all the cars in their database, which at the time extended from 1980 through 2010, although I think that the number of hits, 244, referred to the model year, [probably just Eldorados.

Accoding to CompNine, there were 8,648 ETCs that year, 2882 of which were made for California as mine was. The Motorama database on Cadillacs says that there were a total of 18,102 Eldorados, but the largest number on the CompNine option list for my VIN is 20,016, of which 19,732 were for US/Canada, so the count in the Motorama database may be slightly low.

If you do get a count for the perescent red triple-coat, let us know what it is. I've only seen a few, ever, and they are all stunning.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks all. I believe I do have a compnine report somewhere. I will look into it. It is a beautiful color, and I love the new pinstripe also. I expected it to be expensive because of just looking at the color lol.

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived