CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Displaying IAT2: DashCommand, Innovate OT-2, Cadillac? #Motorama

Displaying IAT2: DashCommand, Innovate OT-2, Cadillac? #Motorama

Posted on April 6, 2013 by bwnunnally

The search for an easy way of displaying IAT2 — which is incoming air temperature after the supercharger & intercooler and as the air enters the manifold — which is the holy grail of telling how things are going for supercharged cars.

Some time ago I picked up an Innovate OT-2 OBD-II module. This device connects to the OBD-II diagnostic port and creates a wifi hotpoint to share the OBD II info from the car to a connected wifi device.

IMG_0529-1024x764.jpg

Read More: http://caddyinfo.com/wordpress/displaying-iat2-dashcommand-innovate-ot-2-cadillac/

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Wow, I never thought about going WiFi with the OBD link and getting IAT2 in real time. The price for the WiFi interface, which they call the OT-2, is listed as $179 and it works with a free iPhone/iPad app, LogWorks. It also works with their air/fuel meters and other modular tuning components.

These guys are hard-core. They even sell their own supercharger/intercooler for Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ. Their page on the supercharger/intercooler is HERE.

My phone is an Android. Being ever the compulsive problem-solver, I thought about it and remembered my scan tool, an OBDLink SX that uses a box that works with an attached USB cable and hooks to the OBD interface in the car. You hook to the USB port first to give the box power and then to the OBD port. The box has a microprocessor and OBD interface chip that translates between the OBD protocol (Ford, GM Class 2 == J1850 VPW, CAN, whatever) and the USB. I've used it rarely on my Cadillac; I bought it to help with the EBTCM problems of yore and have used it primarily since on my wife's Pontiac and a friend's Toyota. Most recently I used it to get freeze frame data on the ETC when working with the miss on number 8. I brought it and the laptop along to check out the CTS-V but that was unnecessary because Bruce got Crest Cadillac to inspect it more thoroghly than I ever thought possible.

These people have evolved since I first bought my OBDLink SX and they have a Bluetooth OBD Link for $125 and a WiFi OBD Link for $230 (I would negotiate, ask for a sale price, etc. because the "list" price for the Bluetooth is the same $230). Their Bluetooth interface works with Android apps Torque, Dash Command (theirs, I believe), OBDDroid, and Voyager Connect, or it can work with their laptop applications, one of which is free. It has a USB connector and can work with that and a laptop too.

I don't see a Windows phone or iPhone/iPad app for this interface on the web site. But between Bruce's suggestion and these guys we have iPhone/iPad and Android covered. The OBDLink device works with laptops too as does the OT-2.

The main web site is HERE. A page that lists their OBD interfaces is HERE.

These guys apparently got started by designing an interface from OBD to RS-232 and along the way built vehicle ECM simulators that provide a simulated vehicle with OBD interface on a PC card for your workbench. For the true electronic geeks among us, they offer their ECM/OBD simulators as a product line HERE. They will even sell you their chip, that interfaces to OBD protocols and talks to a microprocessor, HERE, if you want to build and sell your own OBD connector interface; you can use one their ECM/OBD simulators on your workbench to develop your own tool with their chips.

Myself, I think it would be nice to see the IAT2.

EDIT: I see both ScanXL and OT-2 for sale on Amazon.com at discounts.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The lure of the Wifi obdii is to make it easier to connect for people who want to integrate an ipad or other tablet into their center console. The IOS devices are not able to use bluetooth that way, so it makes a way to interface.

With an android phone you can use Torque, which apparently is simple to access IAT2. I probably should look for a used android phone or tablet and just use that to display IAT2, and keep it in the car. Acting as a wifi device it would not need a phone account. Hmmm. Disclosure: I have not done this yet, and inevitably there are issues that have to be worked out when actually doing stuff.

The Microsoft surface Pro is expensive, but it strikes me that it could run HPTuners.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Microsoft Surface has its own apps. I don't know what they run but I would expect that Windows phone apps would run on it. There may be some commonality with Windows 8 "new" apps.

My thinking before you opened this topic was that I could get a dashboard on my laptop my OBD cable. I have ignored the OBDLink phone apps because my thinking is that you would want a full dashboard, easy printing to the home network, etc. But with phone apps what they are today, then, if you want to look at just one (or just a few) gauges or numbers, a phone is great. So, I learned something today, and I may want to figure out how to use my phone to monitor things that I can't put on my DIC, like IAT2.

I've got a very full plate right now so I'm not going to get a WiFi or Bluetooth OBD link and experiment with an Android app this weekend. Any one else?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived