CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2000 Catera electrical nightmares

rockfangd

Hi all. First off Happy Easter to all.

I have a 2000 Catera and it has my head spinning right now, See title.

To start. Sometimes the car will not start, you turn the key on and it turns off like you shut the key off. I figured this out. There is a fuse block on top of the battery, all 4 fuses were corroded and losing connection. I have to get 4 new fuses but for now I cleaned all connections and the fuses are all supplying full voltage now.

The Speedo, odometer are not working at all. There were 3 codes related to VSS circuit So I replaced the VSS and inspected the VSS plug. Now the codes are gone but the speedo and odometer are still not working.

The ABS, TCS lights are both on, not sure if it is related to above

The radio, trunk release, on star, fuel door, traction button all do not work at all. The radio doesnt even display anything, and the trunk is useless because there is no keyhole.

I checked all fuses, at least I think I did, I took care of the ones in the block at the battery, and there is no blown fuses in the box next to the battery.

I found another fusebox below the steering wheel and all were good except one 30 amp heated seat fuse. I replaced the fuse and it did not pop.

I was told that when it dries out that things start to work again. She said that when the radio works, the on star, trunk, fuel door, and traction all works. But when it rains or gets wet everything quits working.

Today I spent almost 5 hours on the car and found out that the rear carpets are soaked. I removed the drain plugs at the rear floors and let it drain. I pulled all the sill trims and the rear seat.

I found 2 things that make me worry.

1. at the right front kick panel there is a module and there are several wires tapped into the wires to the module. I dont know if this is for the on star or what but All connections were intact.

2. There is a harness under the rear seat. 5 wires maybe that look to have gotten hot. Dont look damaged but there is a groove in the matting on the floor and it is all black like the harness melted the groove.

I dont expect any miracles here but am just looking for a step in the right direction. I also worry about a fire hazard when there are so many electrical problems, and water may be involved.

I only have 1 code now that my scantool shows, constant, as soon as you clear it it comes right back, U2108, unsure of the definition.

Thanks all for reading

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I got this from another forum...

I do not know how accurate it is...

This code (U2108) is a communications error with the ABS module. This goes hand-in-hand with the TC and ABS lights and code P0500. The VSS is wired to the ABS first, then carries over to the ECU and speedometer. I found this out the hard way with a buddy's Catera. When the ABS module has communications errors, the speedometer loses signal from the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS).

There is hope. We called www.bba-reman.com, and they were able to fix the ABS controller. This is the black plastic box on the ABS module mounted down on the car's frame rail on the driver's side. They have DIY instructions on their website to remove the controller without removing the valve assembly and motor. This means you don't need to remove any brake lines or crack any of the lines open. Mail off the controller, and they rebuild it, test it, and warranty the work for a year, and send it back. According to them, you can still drive the car without the module. They charged us $169, which included return postage. This fixed the ABS, TC and CEL lights.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef045f4/1103

Posted Image

That's the EBTCM. In the 1992-1999 E/K Cadillacs, a bad EBTCM will throw PCM codes as well as ABS, TC, and RSS codes if you have RSS. Perhaps if the EBTCM is just dead, you won't have any ABS, TC, or RSS codes because that is the module that throws them. When I was having EBTCM problems I found an outfit that would rebuld them for the E/K Cadillacs. It may be the same outfit. In any case, save the name/address/URL.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

thank you very much. that is what my research was telling me also and that explains why I have no codes abs related. I will definately look into it because it will not pass NYSI until it gets fixed due to the SES light.

Any ideas about the other problem(s)

GM FAN FOREVER

I think you need a factory shop manual for the 2000 Catera. Here's one on eBay that you might make an offer on. You might start with $50 or whatever you think that it's worth.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-CADILLAC-CATERA-Service-Shop-Repair-Manual-SET-OEM-FACTORY-DEALERSHIP-/160835312766?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item2572881c7e&vxp=mtr

Or, CLICK HERE

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

• 2 weeks later...

Ok to update this.

The problem with the radio, fuel door, trunk, etc... is caused by a Multi Function Relay. It is run on the battery guard circuit and is located up at the firewall to the left of the brake pedal. I pulled the relay off the mount while the key was on and voila everything works. If you jiggle the relay everything goes on and off. Right now Everything works.

Part appears to be dealer item only and goes for about 85.00.

As for the ABS, TCS, SES lights, I have contacted BBA Reman on the EBTCM repair and just removed the unit from the car. I pray that it resolves the problems. Apparently The Bosch 5.3 unit is extremely prone to internal problems and has to be professionaly repaired. I wish I could find someone locally to repair the unit but I cannot find anyone.

I will update this once job is complete.

GM FAN FOREVER

Get the part number and do a search for it on Amazon and see if you can get one that way. Also, GMPartsGiant.com and other online GM dealers will help you get the part yourself.

Ok to update this.

I removed the EBTCM from the car and sent it out and back next day. so I sent it out monday and got it back thursday. One of the main jumpers was broken causing total unit failure.

I reinstalled the unit and after repairing battery cables and the upper radiator hose.

I disassembled the multi function relay and checked all the solder joiints, put a dab of oil on the trigger contacts and reassembled.

I took the car for a drive and all functions as designed. I cant believe I figured it all out. Thanks for the advice on the BBA site. They were prompt and professional

GM FAN FOREVER

:bluesbrothers:

Archived