CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1998 Deville cost for crank sensor defective .cost to replace?

My 98 deville service engine lite came on after recent auto repair of over heating, parts replaced were w/p tensioner,w/p pulley, A w/p belt, and a thermostat an gasket, $422.4 Was not happy with that Nor that in only 11 days later service engine lite on again, Auto zone dx it with cpu device came up :Crank sensor defective, and or the wiring, So what is the fair cost for this to be replace with labor? I been told $150 by local auto repair shop, my mechanics who did the above and saw the print out on crank Senor defective, and that cars idle not normally running smooth, it has a mis in it. My mechanic said its the sensor and also the belts need to be aligned up even , when put in w/p belt may not been line up even with others, he will take care that also for $185.00, again called a another local auto repair there price $150. So what is the cost for either crank or crankshaft sensor ? and what is a fair price for what my mechanic $185 sensor is causing the mis in idle and lite up service engine also will properly line up the belts. which I think should been done when put in the w/p belt. ?? in 11 days going to cost 0ver $600. and he is the one suggest buy the caddy since cust goes there takes great care of care in very good running an looks nice full leather, does look nice an since mechanic says runs nice an he services the car , lots new parts in. So why I getting hit prices higher prices then what some local auto repair guys charge to do same job? Thoughts and prices approx?

Ahh, I'd like to know how the hell the belts can be "aligned".... There is no way to align the belts - there is ONE belt for the accessories and one fot the water pump - neither are on the same pulley path.

I suggest you find someone else to work on your car...

Crank sensors are $50 for both and less than an hour to install.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I'll align your belts for $50 :) haha

If they didn't put the belts in the grooves correctly, would would squeal and catch something. There is no alignment. You don't even tension these belts. It's not the belts.

You could probably have done the wp tensioner and belt yourself. Its about $100 in part. 4 bolts and a cover.

I once did some work on a car and forgot to plug in the crankshaft sensor. Car runs, but very badly. My advice really to anyone with an old car is to get the workshop manuals, and do most of the work yourself. Most people, myself included don't have the space or tools or time to overall an engine.

However a sensor here, a thermostat there, maybe a pair of shock and an oil change can quickly add up if you don't do it yourself. Usually sensors are the number one thing you can and should learn to do yourself. Don't be afraid, you can probably break 5 sensors for the price of going to the shop. Just read up on what to do. Take your time and be careful. Rule 1, don't hurt yourself. Rule 2, try not to break anything else. Rule 3, fix the problem. And don't beat yourself up if you break something when you remove somehing else. Happens to all of us, especially on older cars. Plastic clips for example break if you just look at them wrong. Good luck.

What waterzap says. I have found that someone working on their own car with a factory shop manual or other good source for the job at hand (even a Chilton is good enough for some things, like brake jobs) is better than a trip to the mechanic or dealer because you take more time, figure everything out, and care very, very much about what happens when the car is driven again.

If you are not physically able to do a job yourself, or if you really need Goodwrench-trained experience and equipment, or if you want the Goodwrench warranty combined with all the above, then you shouldn't let pride get in your way. A car that you intend to drive for years may be worth taking to the dealer for A/C or alternator problems, for example, just fore the lifetime warranty (ask about the price and warranty before you authorize the work), even for an old car. A job that needs a lift or is best done on a lift is usually a job best done by a good shop, particularly if you don't have a warm or air-conditioned place to work, even for simple jobs like oil changes.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived