CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Just did the alternator on my 97 Deville this weekend. Took some pics with explanations.

Not sure how to post the pics though.

Took photos of how the alternator comes out the bottom and the two bolts on the manifold side.

Those two bolts were definitely a pain. Need a 15mm for them. A ratcheting wrench makes the job so much easier. One with a ratcheting flex head would have been even better.

Other than the ratcheting wrench, you can do everything else with a small socket set. I didn’t even have to bring out my big set, just a 30 piece set. I think you need a 8mm for the battery, 10 mm, 13 mm, and 15mm for everything else if I remember correctly.

I don’t think I would have had any space to put in a piece of cardboard against the radiator. Did damage a couple of the smaller fins, but that’s fine.

Did not have to take the wheels off, just drive the car on ramps and take the access panels off on the bottom.

The job took me around 3 to 3.5 hours. I was fairly efficient, so I don’t think I would be able to do it much faster than that.

The old alternator was definitely on the way out. It squealed on startup, and the volts would fluctuate with the throttle. With the new one the battery voltage stays pretty constant. Drops off or goes up very slowly.

I am pretty happy with the job.

I circled the two bolts around the exhaust manifold.

Those two bolts were definitely a pain. Need a 15mm for them. A ratcheting wrench makes the job so much easier. One with a ratcheting flex head would have been even better.

Other than the ratcheting wrench, you can do everything else with a small socket set. I didn’t even have to bring out my big set, just a 30 piece set. I think you need a 8mm for the battery, 10 mm, 13 mm, and 15mm for everything else if I remember correctly.

Finally, you will need a long extension for the bolt on the other side of the alternator. I also loosened the bolt above it, but that was not part of the alternator.

The final bolt is on top and can only be reached by taking out the battery. You also need an extension, but not as long as for the previous bolt.

I don’t think I would have had any space to put in a piece of cardboard against the radiator. Did damage a couple of the smaller fins, but that’s fine.

Did not have to take the wheels off, just drive the car on ramps and take the access panels off on the bottom.

The job took me around 3 to 3.5 hours. I was fairly efficient, so I don’t think I would be able to do it much faster than that.

The old alternator was definitely on the way out. It squealed on startup, and the volts would fluctuate with the throttle. With the new one the battery voltage stays pretty constant. Drops off or goes up very slowly.

I am pretty happy with the job.

post-23925-0-08406200-1363197691_thumb.j

post-23925-0-59334700-1363197695_thumb.j

Thanks for posting the procedure. There is not a lot of room in there to work.

When I had the engine out of my STS for the headgasket job, I took the alternator to a rebuilder and had them check it out. They replaced the bearings and brushes for $60.00 or so. That way, I still have the GM alternator and know it will last the life of the car.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived