CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Dumb MAF position question

CBDeville

New 02 Deville owner here, and I have a dumb question about the MAF.

I was checking the TB to see if it needed cleaning, and a week or so later I got the Service Engine light. I read that you have to make sure the MAF sensor inlet duct and the air cleaner assembly are lined up. How can I tell? Where is the MAF sensor inlet duct? Is it in the duct tube between the Air Cleaner and the TB?

Thanks in advance!

The MAF sensor is bolted (using three long thin bolts on my '97) to the throttle body. The intake duct tubing is clamped to the MAF, and the MAF is bolted to the throttle body.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Thanks, that helps a lot.

I'm still trying to figure out what the Bulletin means when it says "The outlet of the air cleaner assembly and the MAF inlet duct must "line up" when completely installed"... "An improperly installed inlet duct assembly or air cleaner assembly may cause mislaignment". I'm really not sure what they mean by "line up". Are they talking about the positioning of the duct tubing between the two?

Thanks again (for the info and your patience).

I'm not sure what that means either. On my '97, the outlet of the air cleaner doesn't really coincide with the MAF at all. There's a 90* bend in the induction tubing, with a flexible section to account for engine movement.

I'm not sure what that means either. On my '97, the outlet of the air cleaner doesn't really coincide with the MAF at all. There's a 90* bend in the induction tubing, with a flexible section to account for engine movement.

Exactly, mine has a near 90 degree bend. Unless what it means is just get the tubing clamped on straight at the MAF and the air cleaner...

That could be. I don't understand the "make sure the MAF sensor inlet duct and the air cleaner assembly are lined up" deal. Just make sure both ends of the tubing are cleanly clamped to their respective connections and go from there.

I went back over everything and it looks okay. Thank you for all your help.

I also ran my codes and it looks like the culprit on the Service Engine Light is the Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System. I'm just glad at this point it wasn't something I did (well, other than driving through a snowstorm and then going through an automatic brushless carwash, one or both of which apparently flooded or shorted the pump).

Archived