CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Please Help Me...

mattd

Last weekend I got up Saturday and my car had a huge problem starting...sounded as if the barttery was just about dead. On Sunday I bought a new battery and when I put it in the car still had a very tough time starting. When I got to work on monday i called my mechanic and asked if he could take a look at it, but when i got in to take it to him the car completely crapped out and didn't start at all. At that point i figured it was the starter...he looked at it said the same thing. Next day he had the starter replaced and working, but when i picked up my car I had a security light lit up on the dash...I asked him about it and he said that it most likely will reset after a while. Well the next morning I went to start my car and the starter failed to disingage after the car started...I quickly shot it off and tried again this time it started normally...He said to give it a few days...so on Thursday when I wanted to home from work the car completely failed to start, I gave him a call he said that it must have something to do with the light and told me to wait a few minutes and give it another shot...It turned out he was right cause it did somehow start...He looked at it on Friday and couldn't find anything wrong with it. On Sunday morning the car completely failed to start. I had to get it towed to his shop at my expense! I finally picked it up today and he said that the starter relay was at fault, he replaced it but the security light is still ON. I get the feeling this guy has clue as to what the hell he is doing...and now what am I suppose to do. I get the feeling that he didn't do anything and that possibly tommorow when I get up the car won't even start...Is this the starter that he put in it? I am speechless, and it's a guessing game if my car will start or not...

The car is a 97 Olds Aurora, with 4L Northstar motor...and the security light goes off after a few minutes of driving, but then goes back on when you restart...if you manage to start that is... Thank you in advance for any input and opinions...

The first thing to check out is cable terminals, cables, grounds etc. Clear them up, reconnect and try again. Search archives for starting problems they will shed some lifght at your particular case.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

My parents have an Aurora but with the 3.5l motor. They had a similar issue lately and the entire ignition switch system was replaced. It seems the security system was showing a key recognition fault and "locking out" the start capability for the preset reset period. This apparently did not solve the problem and they use the other car if it fails... for now, until they can get it in to the dealer (warranty). My Caddy has had similar issues of late and I have replaced the starter as well, only to have it reappear a week later. I have only had difficulty in the extreme cold weather and will try the following if it happens this winter.

There are two pins in the diagnosis plug that you can jump to disable the security system (specifically the key one) in the car. I have no idea which ones they are but a pro who installs auto car starters knows which ones. If the car has this type of system from the factory, a car starter will not work without the jump done.

It is a simple and virtually cost-free method to eliminate the ignition key recognition/security feature of the car... in your quest for reliability.

Good luck.

Mike P

mattd,

PM to me your email , I'll send you diagrams showing starter enable relay for my car. The cars are pretty much the same when it comes to security system. It's a five minute fix.

Despite a relay could be the culprit I would highly recommend to recheck all your connections, ground, cables etc. A bad connection may result in relay malfunction and a lot of other things. From what you decribed looks like your old starter was better than new one.

Thanks for all the input...I already cleaned all the connections around the battery, the ground and the connections under the hood with no help...T his morning the car once again failed to start...waited about 5 minutes and it started fine...I swear I'm loosing my mind here...anyways I think the starter must be the culprit the guy just doesn't want to admit it cause it means he has to do the job over again for free...Once again thanks for all the input

i would imagine that your key or the ignition switch is the problem first repkace the key or use your other set if that doesnt help try bypassing the vats module take the key to a dealer and have him tell u which key blank and its resitance. i dont know if caddy is the same but midamerica corvette has bypasses for $20

A starter does not need break in. It works right from the start, or something is wrong.

Are the wires that go to the starter under the intake manifold being pinched? They need to splip past the power steering pump on each side. You should be able to wiggle them a bit.

It does sound like the problem is more like a connection, damaged wire, or the starter relay.

Check your positive cable at the battery, if it is a double connection pull them apart to make sure that all faces are clean and shiny.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Archived