CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

V8-6-4

anna-z

I have a 1981 deville with the V8-6-4 engine and I'm trying to do reseach on current pricing, parts availibilty, and number of cars made with this engine. It was my mothers car and I'm trying to determine if I should restore it. It has 71,100 miles. Thanks

Standard Catalog of Cadillac shows Cadillac made 86,991 DeVille/Fleetwood foor door sedans that year. There were 62,724 two-doors made. The 140 hp 6L V8-6-4 engine was standard, although a 4.1L Buick V6 or a 5.7L Oldsmobile diesel were optional.

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Standard Catalog of Cadillac shows Cadillac made...

Hey Bruce,

I read the description of this book online, sounds pretty good!

Is the book worth buying?

Your comments please...

thank you,

Thanks Bruce for the info. Is there a way to determine unrestored and restored market value for the 81 deville with this engine. NADA does not show the breakdown with this engine.

I don't know of a specific market value analysis for the 81.

That was the standard engine. These became known as problematic or ahead-of-their-time engines, and owners frequently disabled the displacement on demand feature. However, that said, owners now often find them a delight most especially if the 8-6-4 displacement on demand feature is working.

Bruce

Standard Catalog of Cadillac shows Cadillac made...

Hey Bruce,

I read the description of this book online, sounds pretty good!

Is the book worth buying?

Your comments please...

thank you,

I think it is a superb reference. They had one that went to 1990, then released a new one that went to 2000, and now I see one that is through 2004. It is very nice for year to year info and changes, although it is strictly factual for the most part. Some reviews are included in a separate section, but few glossy color pictures or discussion of the impact or social aspect of the cars. If you want a desk reference you can use to determine the options available on a 19xx model, this is a good one. If you want a coffee table book with photos and discussion of the cars, this is not that.

Note that if you order items via the amazon gadget on the caddyinfo.com home page it benefits the site.

Bruce

Bruce,

Thank you for your comments..

Actually I am looking for a coffee table book for my son for Christmas...

He's in college and I want his first car out of college to be an STS!

thanks again, I'll keep looking...

Archived