CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Boston Suspension

offlimits

Hi People:

I changed my struts to the Boston Suspension kit, I got everything in a package. Good instructions and everything went real good. I have to say the car rides better that it ever did no more electronics and no more ride control message, by pass works perfect.

If you think of doing a passive I would go with Boston, really I looked into the others, and glad I did this kit.He saved me thousands of dollars.

Brad

Did you keep the same springs? Does it take bumps better? How does it feel on turns? Mine bottoms out at highway speeds as the road dips and rises quickly, do you notice any difference there? Thanks, Mike

dear scotty after all these posts and all the advice u give everybody i cant believe your car seems to need shocks in the rear go with boston shocks i in the rear . i went through the same thing but used arnott also i thought the springs neded replacing they didnt. the reason u should go with boston is u get new hardware with it in case u need to use heat to get them off. it made all the diff i like the way the car drives and handles mine was swaying all over the highway now its nice and crisp handles excellent i think u wii be pleasantly surprised if u change the shocks

merry christmas, john :huh:

dear scotty after all these posts and all the advice u give everybody i cant believe your car seems to need shocks in the rear go with boston shocks i in the rear . i went through the same thing but used arnott also i thought the springs neded replacing they didnt. the reason u should go with boston is u get new hardware with it in case u need to use heat to get them off. it made all the diff i like the way the car drives and handles mine was swaying all over the highway now its nice and crisp handles excellent i think u wii be pleasantly surprised if u change the shocks

merry christmas, john :huh:

Thanks John, its really my front that is doing poorly, the northstar wants to hit the ground... I really want to go with factory struts. I figure since I am doing the work myself I can go with OEM... I like the idea of getting this suspension back to spec. Plus if I took it in, I probably would have to give them a trash bag filled with cash, I need to do all bushings, ball joints, springs and the struts. I check the hubs, the links, brake hoses, brakes, etc. Then I will take it for a 4-wheel alignment. While I am there, I do the entire job since my own labor is cheap and I know who to yell at when its messed up! Its a nice winter job in the garage.. :D Mike

scotty i thought the same way that it was my fronts after doing much research i decided to replace both front and rear wow what a diff this car rides incredible the kit for all four is about 599 and supposedly guaranteed for life oem shocks are not

by the way i doubt that u need new springs i ordered them also and was lucky enough to cancel the order by the way spring compressors are cheap from harbor freight and do thec job nicely

scotty i thought the same way that it was my fronts after doing much research i decided to replace both front and rear wow what a diff this car rides incredible the kit for all four is about 599 and supposedly guaranteed for life oem shocks are not

by the way i doubt that u need new springs i ordered them also and was lucky enough to cancel the order by the way spring compressors are cheap from harbor freight and do thec job nicely

Yes you are right before I order the springs I am going to measure the ride height front and rear before I spend the money on springs. Although I know myself, if I am going to go through the work of replacing the struts and remove the springs in the process, its in my nature to replace the springs.... its Ship Yard training... Yes it will cost a little more but my ride will improve that much more, and I won't need to worry about it for 60,000 miles, thats what I have now (60K) and the ride is mushy. I may even consider a heavier duty spring or the Concours spring.

That price you show there is very TEMPTING......I guess that would be an inexpensive way of getting a good ride cheaply and think about moving up sooner to an STS....instead of pouring big money into this car, as $2400 or more for OEM struts is heavy. Hmmm, better idea... :lol: Thanks for the idea!

I have to keep in mind that my ultimate goal is an STS or if I want to be SELFISH an ETC and I am leaning toward being SELFISH.... B)

Scotty,

How about finding a wrecked DTS and transferring all the handling enhancement goodies over. That's what I did with my Eldorado. They didn't sell the eldorado ETC in my body style but they did sell the STS which is basically the same car. One day I was at the junk yard and I found an STS, so I transferred the goodies (fast ratio steering rack, front & rear sway bars) to my car. I ended up buying 4 new Monroe Sensatrac struts because I wanted to retain the rear leveling feature. The difference with the new struts and handling package was like night and day. Now, I can really scare my passengers as I fly around the corners. I may be the only one that has an 88 ETC around.

IPB Image

NICE!! I have done stuff like that in the past myself, turning a pedestian Cutlass into a 442 without the badge.....LOL... I can use parts on my 96 from a DTS? or do you mean Concours.. Now that is an idea, find a Concours..

Archived