CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New Tires for stock 16" rims

tmpafford

I know this has been flogged to death on this forum, but did we reach a concensus?

I have to replace the tires on my 97 STS. The last time I just bought the same tires that came on the car. They have worked well, but not fantastic. I think they are Michellins (sp?) 225/60/R16. The ride is fine, the noise is ok and the wear is average. I am going to stick with the same size, but would like a suggestion of just a couple of brands and type to look at. Pirelli? Toyo? Goodyear? Michellin?

Best and cheapest one wins.

Thanks

Are you a member of Sams Club? You really can't beat their tire price. They sell a Michelin X Radial there, in 225/60/16 size (stock size) for about $450 on the set, installed, lifetime roadhazard, etc. I believe these tires to be functionally equivalent to the Michelin Harmony, sold at Michelin dealers (no warehouses) for more $$. $450 is a great price on a great set of tires. I wouldn't trust a set of tires that cost much less than that on the vehicle my wife drives and the one we take most of our trips in. I've been there, done that. So much is riding on your tires (wait, have I heard that before somewhere?), why settle for less?

The question in my mind is what kind of Michelins do you have no, and how old are they? Old tires ride poorly no matter what brand they are. Be sure to compare apples to apples with tire comparisons. I personally find the reviews at Tirerack.com to be invaluable for this kind of thing.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

tmpafford,

I have Toyo 800 Ultra's on my 99 STS right now...Ready to replace. Have worn pretty good, but I've only put the last 26.000 miles on them. I run Michelin HydroEdge on my 300m.

Wear real well, 80,000 mi warranty...

ride is okay, hard to tell on 300m suspension...

Grip real well in the WET...Sound like Giant Sqeeegeees on wet launches..

Thinking of replacing the Toyo's with Michelin Pilots because a lot of people on this

board run them...if not I will buy the HdroEdges for the STS...

come on you French lovin' Michelin Runners..chime in! :lol::lol:

my .02

It's hard to beat Pep Boys tires for getting the most for your money. I notice that most taxi's around here use Pep Boys tires. This size of tire runs about $60 there.

For handling, it's hard to beat Pirelli's but they're also expensive and don't last as long. My Eldorado corners like crazy with 17" Pirelli's and it's fun to scare my passengers. My last passenger told me that he didn't think that a we were going to make it around the corner and he's a Corvette driver.

IPB Image

Thinking of replacing the Toyo's with Michelin Pilots because a lot of people on this board run them...if not I will buy the HdroEdges for the STS...come on you French lovin' Michelin Runners..chime in!

If you are looking for a good performance-type tire, the Michelin Pilot XGT series tires are excellent. I'm on my second set of XGT H4s right now. Tire wear has been acceptable (about 40,000 miles per set), ride quality I would rate 8/10. Noise I would also rate very good...about 8 or 9/10. I'm moving to a more dedicated all season tire (the X Radial) for better treadlife (I don't use the capability of the Pilots) and for an even better and quieter ride. The rubber compound on the X Radials even feels softer to the hand, so I'm sure it'll be a very quiet ride. Another member here just bought the X Radials (replacing brand new Bridgestones) and was happy with them. The Pilots are great tires though...if you are into performance, they're a super super tire.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I'd have to agree with Jason on this one. I just purchased a set of tires for my

98 Deville a couple a weekends ago for a Thanksgiving road trip to Arkansas from

Colorado and the info and reviews I read at tirerack.com was invaluable. I went

with BridgestoneTuranza's LS-T's. You'll find that many of us have our favorites (tire) for whatever reasons. So log onto tirerack.com

My Aurora (purchased used) came with Michelin MXVs. They were absolute junk by 35K miles, and never gave me any confidence. When I looked at the cost of the replacements, I decided to switch.

Tried Dunlop SP Sport A2s, based upon positive reviews at Tire Rack. Liked them at first, but they got really noisy, and really bad for traction. I replaced them at 40k miles, and, after re-reading the Tire Rack reviews, found out I was lucky (many replacing them at 20-25k).

I now have BF Goodrich Traction T/A's on the car, for the past 15k miles. They have been great. Best wet traction of any tire I've had. I only put them on late last winter, but they seem fine in snow (not sure if that's a consideration).

I had narrowed my choices down to the BFG's, the Bridgestone Turanzas, and the Continental ContiPremierContacts (which have a long treadlife warranty, but are more "highway cruiser" kind of tires, not necessarily the best for the "fast and aggressive" driving style that I have :-)

I'd put Traction T/A's on my car again. I plan on getting a set for my mom's old '96 Beretta in the spring (only 40k miles, still on the original tires - thankfully put away for the winter).

Hope this helps someone,

--Robert

Archived