CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Shift improvement for 97 STS

scottshoe

Do you want crisper shifts for all around daily driving or do you just want a deadly 1-2 shift during wide open throttle runs from a stop?

Please forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know, but if you put the selector in 2nd you'll actually be able to break the tires loose on a 1-2 shift when you do a WOT run from a standing start (raises the fluid pressure in the tranny).

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I would like slightly firmer shifts all around... but I didn't know about the holding it in 2nd deal! I am new to Caddy's and most of my cars have had manual trannies. I'll try the holding it in 2nd thing and see if it works. My car also takes a few seconds to go into reverse from drive after being driven... is this common? I am going to change the trans fluid and put B&M slickshift in it... just to see if that helps any.

There are a few companies that I've found that sell shift kits and what not for the 4T80E transmission. The company with the most parts would have to be ProTech Transmissions, they have a heavy duty rebuild kit for the 4T80E transmission as well as individual parts. this is their website- http://www.protechtransmissions.com/perfor...libration%20Kit

I called them and asked about the complete performance rebuild and they said that they would have to do it in house if I wanted it done. They would probably sell you the shift kit by itself though.

That hesitation in reverse engaging is an issue. That can be a sign of a dirty tranny screen--of course if they have such things--but it's also a sign that the tranny is on its way out. My 01 has a fairly agressive shift, considering its a luxury car, and the shift is much more agressive than that of my 99 STS. Try a screen/fluid change. I have been a GM man all my life, and one downside is that GM tranny's suck.

I have been a GM man all my life, and one downside is that GM tranny's suck.

With all due respect, that is a statement that I highly disagree with. Compared to what, the FORD AXOD tranny in the Taurus that really sucks? That is the sloppiest tranny I have every experienced, the gear shifts and overrunning are horrible! Or how about the Chrysler tranny in the mini-van that goes out regularly?

My experience with GM trannys is that they are bullet proof as long as you change the fluids, and don't seriously abuse and misuse them. If you have it rebuilt, it is imperitive to have it rebuilt by someone with a brain not a slam bang mechanic. These are not trannys that you want to take to AAMCO...

As far as your STS having an aggressive shift for a 'luxury' car, you are driving an STS which is a SPORTS LUXURY car, try a DEVILLE or SLS those are luxury cars. The STS is more a performance car, you would rather have a sloppy shift?

Furthermore comparing the 2001 to the 1999 is not apples to apples two years in the development of a Cadillac is an eternity.

I would like slightly firmer shifts all around... but I didn't know about the holding it in 2nd deal! I am new to Caddy's and most of my cars have had manual trannies. I'll try the holding it in 2nd thing and see if it works. My car also takes a few seconds to go into reverse from drive after being driven... is this common? I am going to change the trans fluid and put B&M slickshift in it... just to see if that helps any.

I would also try changing the fluid and filters. I have had slow reverse engagement in cold weather in my 91. Does it whine at all? Mike

Or how about the Chrysler tranny in the mini-van that goes out regularly?

Perhaps you should research this one a bit. The Chrysler 41TE transmission doesn't just "go out regularly". 9 times out of 10 the reasons they fail is because either someone who services them is uninformed and puts Dexron/Mercon in them rather than ATF+3/4 which is required or they suffer from a severe lack of maintenance.

K.O.T.

Perhaps you should research this one a bit. The Chrysler 41TE transmission doesn't just "go out regularly". 9 times out of 10 the reasons they fail is because either someone who services them is uninformed and puts Dexron/Mercon in them rather than ATF+3/4 which is required or they suffer from a severe lack of maintenance.

The biggest problem, reportedly, is the wrong tranny fluid, as Devin pointed out. Even the owner's manual sometimes incorrectly says you can put Dexron transmission fluid in them...which you CANNOT. I've been very interested in this, as my wife and I are planning a pre-owned Mopar minivan purchase sometime within the next year probably. Since all of the information out there seems to always point to incorrect fluid being used, that made me feel a bit better about it.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Or how about the Chrysler tranny in the mini-van that goes out regularly?

Thanks for the heads up, all I know is that everyone I know has had tranny problems with their mini-vans regardless of how old they are. Maybe thats just my experience and it was a fluke....

Perhaps you should research this one a bit.  The Chrysler 41TE transmission doesn't just "go out regularly".  9 times out of 10 the reasons they fail is because either someone who services them is uninformed and puts Dexron/Mercon in them rather than ATF+3/4 which is required or they suffer from a severe lack of maintenance.

The biggest problem, reportedly, is the wrong tranny fluid, as Devin pointed out. Even the owner's manual sometimes incorrectly says you can put Dexron transmission fluid in them...which you CANNOT. I've been very interested in this, as my wife and I are planning a pre-owned Mopar minivan purchase sometime within the next year probably. Since all of the information out there seems to always point to incorrect fluid being used, that made me feel a bit better about it.

I am glad to see that what I have seen does not differ too much from reality. I did not know about the fluid issue, all I saw was lots of friends, neighbors have problems.... Good Luck with it. I have a question however. If it is pre-owned how do you avoid the problem of someone having put in the wrong fluid? I guess however if it is a relatively new vehicle the odds that it needed a substantial amount of fluid is low.... I would change it for safety sake when I bought it however... This problem is like the DEXCOOL issue in a used CADDY, I would not want the car is someone used GREEN...

I have a question however.  If it is pre-owned how do you avoid the problem of someone having put in the wrong fluid?  I guess however if it is a relatively new vehicle the odds that it needed a substantial amount of fluid is low....  I would change it for safety sake when I bought it however...

We are most likely going to purchase it through Carmax. My brother bought his '99 Corvette through Carmax and has actually had to have quite a bit of work done to it. He bought their extended warranty and they've been super about the repairs. With the Mopar minivans, you can buy SIX YEAR warranties on them usually. And that starts from the point of sale, so if we bought one next summer, the van would be guaranteed through the middle of 2011. That's quite a deal. The vehicles themselves are usually a few thousand more (especially when you add the warranty), but for a vehicle we're going to purchase to keep long term like this, I think it's worth it, especially one that has a bad rap for transmission problems...unfounded or not. ;)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I have a question however.  If it is pre-owned how do you avoid the problem of someone having put in the wrong fluid?  I guess however if it is a relatively new vehicle the odds that it needed a substantial amount of fluid is low....  I would change it for safety sake when I bought it however...

We are most likely going to purchase it through Carmax. My brother bought his '99 Corvette through Carmax and has actually had to have quite a bit of work done to it. He bought their extended warranty and they've been super about the repairs. With the Mopar minivans, you can buy SIX YEAR warranties on them usually. And that starts from the point of sale, so if we bought one next summer, the van would be guaranteed through the middle of 2011. That's quite a deal. The vehicles themselves are usually a few thousand more (especially when you add the warranty), but for a vehicle we're going to purchase to keep long term like this, I think it's worth it, especially one that has a bad rap for transmission problems...unfounded or not. ;)

Smart move

The car doesn't hesitate in regular use... just slow to engage into reverse after shifting it there. It shifts fine and the fluid looks healthy, but I have my doubts.

The suspension zerks were filthy and the joints pretty dry when I got it. I would imagine the cheap Floridian woman that owned it before me got the budget oil change and not full service.

I had a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 that made it to almost 10,000 miles before it went in for the first of 3 visits that eventually ended up netting me a new trans! I would much rather have a GM overdrive than any of the other manufacturers!

I have been a GM man all my life, and one downside is that GM tranny's suck.

I would like to differ.....My '86 Park Avenue has 192,400 miles on the trans. I have changed the fluid every 50,000 miles since my wife purchased it with 49,125 miles on the odometer.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived