CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Losing Fuel?

adallak

I have recently noticed gas numbers change too fast :o Three days ago I parked the car and remembered the volume of the gasoline in the tank - 30-31 liters (I switched to metric for more accurate data). Tonight I had to drive to a grocery store (1.2 miles round trip) and the number was 30-31 in the beginning of the trip and...28 in the end :angry::blink:

What the hell is going on? The tank cap is new, but the neck of the tank is a little bot corroded. My question is - how the fuel in the tank is measured?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I had a 91 sedan deville and it had the digital readout also. It is just the nature of the readout. When I would first start the car, it would read 8 gallons and than 5 minutes later down to 6 gallons. I did not like it at all. BTW, when it says 2 gallons, there are really 2 gallons in there, when it goes to E, you better be within 15miles of a gas station. There is no room for error there. On my 94 sts, I can be on E for quite some time. Hope this helps.

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

The readout is not linear - it will stay on FULL for quite some time and then drop normally. It is a marketing thing...if the level were linear, people would complain that the car was getting bad fuel economy...LOL.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I was referring to the "Fuel in Tank" reading. The fuel used reading is based off the pulse width of the injector signal. The fuel used reading is very accurate unless the fuel pressure regulator is bad or there is a leaking injector.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived