CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Maybe trading up!!

PAUL T

I looked at a 99 Deville with 53000 miles on it tonight at a local Caddy dealership. I pulled the codes on it and they had not been cleared. I blew the salesmans mind when I pulled the codes, he did not know it even had codes. I found a P0603 which is PCM memory reset, no biggie. Next came up a P0741 - TCC stuck off, it was a history code but it sort of concerns me. Then a P1527 - Trans range/pressure switch comparison, I really had not checked into that one yet. All codes were history and I did notice that it had been in a rear end collision only due to the paint on the rear tail light rubber not matching the rear fender and the trunk lid a little out of line. Most people would not have noticed the rearend being fixed unless you look real hard. Engine was clean and I noticed a wet spot on the undercarrage under the passenger side belts. I do not know what it was I know it could just be antifreeze from the overflow, I will look at it closer Monday. The interior is in excellent condition. The P0741 code is what bothers me the most. What do you all think? Price is $11988

In my 1996 reference, TCS DTC 41 Right Front Inlet Valve solenoid malfunction. Causes can be damage to the right front valve inlet solenoid, an open circuit, or a short. It is measuring the pressure inside the brake pressure modulator valve, and is tested on ignition.

In 96 no TCC message said "TCC stuck off".

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

In my 1996 reference, TCS DTC 41 Right Front Inlet Valve solenoid malfunction. Causes can be damage to the right front valve inlet solenoid, an open circuit, or a short. It is measuring the pressure inside the brake pressure modulator valve, and is tested on ignition.

In 96 no TCC message said "TCC stuck off".

Paul T,

If it is an internal modulator problem I do not think they will fix it since the hydraulic modulator is not repairable. They will have to replace it and it is an expensive part.

As a result of the malfunction your right front brake may be affected, at some pint it will not get any pressure at all, which may cause an accident.

I had a similar problem, could not afford a modulator for $1.500 and fixed it myself spending some $6.00. I DO NOT recommend someone doing the same , so sorry no directions <_>

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Thanks Adallak I am trying to figure the cost into the car. I know the car was in a collision but I do not know the extent of the damage. The dealer said he would give me the name of the previous owner, so I may call them to get more info.

Bruce, it is for a 99 Deville.

Sorry, I should have been more clear that although your question is on a 99 my handy reference book was for a 96, so the correct answer may vary. Often they are similar however.

Bruce

Oh (Doh) I read TC as Traction control, not correctly as TCC Torque Converter Clutch, which is to say a transmission issue, not a traction control issue. Sorry for running off down a side path.

If it is or has had some torque converter issue I would ask how that was addressed, or what type of warranty they can offer to ensure you don't have a problem down the road.

Bruce

So if I get this right, the code P0741 affects the TCC and the brakes and it is the modulator in the TCC, meaning that the TCC would have to be replaced? I have been searching this in the archives.

The car was bought new at the same dealership and the salesman said they have the service records and the salesman is going through them and is going to get back with me. The previous owner is supposed to call me sometime today. He traded it in on a 2005 Deville.

Blue Book www.kbb.com shows a 99 Deville with 53k miles in Good condition has a trade-in value of $8,310 depending on options; $8,925 in excellent condition. That would be my price target. The dealer needs to make money over that for profit and whatever they had to do to fix the car, but often they negotiated down from that to what they actually paid the previous owner for it; in my experience dealer offer starts at 1/2 of the book trade-in value :rolleyes: . How much over that I'd be willing to pay would vary based on the individual car. Retail on kbb is $13.9k, but I would try to find one near the trade-in value.

Bruce

I spoke with the previous owner and he said he got $10,000 out of the 99 Deville on a trade for a 2005 DTS. His wife drove it mostly and they had not noticed the transmission acting up. Also the dealer is playing hardball they dropped the price to $11,800. I expect a call today from the dealer due to it being the end of the month, but I am going to stick to my offer. Let the games begin.

Archived