CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1970 cadillac horn does not work

My 70 cadillac I'm going over everything on it and I think everything works decent except the horn. If you push the steering wheel button you hear a healthy relay click under the steering column but that's all. I found the big ol relay and it also buzzes when you open the door with the key in the ignition. I'm not sure if its dual purpose or that's not really the horn relay but it clicks with the horn button. The horn fuse is probably good, they didn't have 40 amp fuses so it has one of those breaker type things jammed in there.

Basically does anyone know if I'm checking the right things? Does anyone have a wiring diagram? Otherwise ill have to do the tedious job of tracing wires and testing them. Just thought maybe there's a simpler solution.

Thanks. I really want to hear them blow :)

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

I would check the horn(s) over time they can go bad. 40 amp fuse sounds like alot for horns. No more info without pics

lol

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Since it seems the horn button and the relay are working (clicking) it sounds more like the horn is bad; I think my first step would be to jumper a 12 volt wire directly to the horn and see if it sounds.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Since it seems the horn button and the relay are working (clicking) it sounds more like the horn is bad;

I think my first step would be to jumper a 12 volt wire directly to the horn and see if it sounds.

What he said... :)

Posted Image

Will do, didn't know they went bad :( I know they're pricey too :(

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

You might be able to rebuild your original horns, I know that I can and will rebuild/ adjust the ones on my Cuda as they sound more like a squeek rather than honk,

Here is a link to repair mustang horns but I am sure yours are very similar.... http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_1105_classic_mustang_horn_repair/viewall.html

Don't let your first ride be your last ride in a Cadillac!

Archived