CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

no heat

NINAROSS

what could be the reasons for having ice cold to lukewarm heat?

I think we may have spoken about his before

1) check your coolant level, low coolant will cause this

1a) make sure your radiator cap is operating correctly, when the radiator is cool open the radiator and look in, your coolant should be right to the top, if it is low your cap could be the wrong one or not opening to allow coolant in, the hose from the coolant resoveur could be pinched, off or clogged.

2) What is your normal operating temp, its possible that your stat is stuck open. I assume that your stat is in place and its 190 degrees. You should be running between 195 and say 210 not usually lower in the cold weather.

3) Feel the hoses going in and out of the heater core when the car reachs normal temp, if one is cold and one is hot it could indicate that your core is clogged. Reverse Flushing it with a garden hose may clear it up

4) check for codes, if you are having controller problems I believe you will set a code

5) have you recently changed the plastic three way T in the hoses toward the firewall in the center of the engine? If you did there is a correct orientation that if you have it wrong it will degrade the heat

Mike my guess is coolant level and core flush.

I did a search of the history and discovered that we spoke about your overheating problem in June. Did you change the thermostat back then?, I think a few of us suggested that you change it. It would be good to know if you changed it as we could eliminate the thermostat from this NO HEAT problem. If it was replaced, look for low coolant or a clogged heater core. To flush the core, disconnect the lead hoses, preferrably at the first break up the line from the heater core so you don't have to struggle with the connections AT the heater core. Flush the core with a garden hose, in reverse if you can figure it out which way is reverse. Look for an arrow on the plastic T that should be the IN direction. Flush starting by blowing water into the OUT side of the core till it runs clear and then reverse it. Many have had good success with this procedure. Let us know what you find, Mike

Archived