CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cadillac not starting

NINAROSS

hey everyone, I'm having a problem with my caddy not starting when i dont drive it for several hours, for instance if I arrive home for work at 5pm and I dont attempt to start it again until 5:30am the next morning, my battery has next to no charge with results in a dead battery when trying to crank or it just doesnt have

n-e charge at all, it seldom happens during the warmer months but with winter approaching I dread that it will happen more often like it did today, we had our first small snowfall in michigan last night , parked my car at about 8:30pm, went to venture out at about 10am, weak start kinda like a chugging sound, them boom no charge at all, what could b the problem, it cranks right up with a boost. thanks in advance!

Check your volts on the display when running. If that is ok, then have the battery checked (Free at AUTOZONE< be sure to charge it first) If that all checks out. Look for a short or bad ground. To check for short, take off neg cable while it sits and if it starts right up then you do have a short or something left on like int light. Or trunk or hood light stuck on. You are on the right path now anyways. Mike

Don't assume that just because the battery is only 5 months old it is good. I have had new batteries fail in 6 months and have had batteries with a dead cell right off the shelf.

It sounds like you have a slow drain, or fast . What you need to do is disconnect battery when you park for the night and re-connect in morning and see if it starts strong. If it does start good , you have a drain, which means you have a short through charging sytem or light or appliance. The way to check is to disconnect neg terminal and hook a 12 volt test light to bat and wire. If it lights you have a drain. Start shutting down appliances , check lights and alternator. When the light goes out you have found the problem . Good Luck, ps ,make sure your voltage read out on dash is varied, between 12 and 15 volts.

Archived