CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

park brake Deville

rockfangd

Hi all. I Decided to repair my parking brake on my 96 Deville. It has not worked since I bought the car over 4 years ago.

I am replacing everything (cablewise). Calipers are fine.

There are 4 cables total.

the front. goes from pedal assembly to underside of car.

intermediate. Goes from front cable under car to rear suspension. cable goes to right rear cable and housing goes to equalizer for left rear.

Right rear cable goes from caliper to intermediate cable

Left rear. has adjuster. goes from caliper to equalizer.

All cables except the intermediate went in perfect. But The intermediate I just cant get right. I am extremely flustered over this and am ready to pull my hair out.

Dealer said it is discontinued.

Bought the Dorman cable. States regulat intermediate but it isnt. It is for extended wheelbase model. Way too long and different ends.

I bought the Raybestos one this time which looked perfect. But it is not. the cable and housing are about 4 inches too short. MEaning it wont reach to the right rear cable at all. It cant be adjustment problem because housing itself is too short too.

The new cable housing is 76" long. complete cable is 87.5.

Please if anyone has any info to help me out. I am very flustered and going nowhere. Nobody seems to have any specs for the cables that they sell.

I want the brake to function and after the brake loss situation over the winter I would like to have a brake for backup. Also when I am parking on inclines.

Thanks for the time and help

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

just to update this.

I have had no luck yet. I have tried 4 cables and all are wrong.

I finally got some help from my local GM dealer after pulling some teeth and they found a part number that is available. It states for 1996 only. Pulled for my vin exactly. Why couldnt they do this befor I went through all this trouble. After all they were the first people I called.

I also get tired of people asking me why I want to fix something I dont need. I feel I do need it. The car came with it, and They are making business.

So apparently there are 2 different aftermarket cables that are for the 96.

One is 95-97 and the other is 96-98.

Wagner apparently offers both but shows no spec and doesnt specify. So I will update this once the one from the dealer comes in and I can check it. Thank god I kept the old cable for reference

GM FAN FOREVER

well no luck at all. The cable that the dealer ordered was no different than the other ones I tried. Still about 4 inches overall and housing too short.

I am getting tired of fighting to get the right parts. Technically vehicle will not pass NYSI without park brake.

I am just very tired out over it.

GM FAN FOREVER

Update 6/30/12.

Finally got the parking brake working. Which is a plus because it never worked since I have owned the car.

I got the correct cable by leaving the old cable with the head parts guy at my dealer, he called me up same day and said he found the correct cable.

Part is a wagner cable. part# BC140261. He apologized to me and told me there must be a catalog problem as the oem cable is not correct.

The funny thing was if I couldnt get the right cable I was going to order this same cable from rockauto. But I wasnt sure if that was tthe wrong one also. But it was the only one that was the right one.

Overall the cables were easy to install and cake to adjust. It is nice to have a hard park brake pedal and have a brake for inclines.

I have one concern. The brake will not release when you shift into gear You have to manually release it. I can deal with it for now but would definately like to fix it.

This car has been an absolutely amazing car and I will do anything to keep it going strong. Thanks to all for reading

GM FAN FOREVER

Hi My 91 STS got to where it wouldn't release when shifting out of park also.

The vacuum solenoid wasn't pulling it off so I replaced it and fixed it.

First I checked for vac after shifting it at the hose to be sure it wasn't just a hose off or something.

Bob B

Ok thank you very much.

I pulled the vacumn line and it has vacumn in gear. Doesnt feel like strong vacumn though. when I watch it as I put it in gear it attempts to release it but seems too weak.

How strong should the vacumn be?

Also can you please give me an idea as to how to replace the servo? thanks

GM FAN FOREVER

Hi all. Update.

My diaphram is bad in the solenoid.

I removed it. it was cake. pull the manual release fully and there is a 8mm bolt behind the rod. Remove the bolt and turn the solenoid to remove.

Dealer wants 62.00 for it and it is 3 days away. They said it is a very common problem but no longer keep them in stock.

Thats high for me so I went to my local yard and found a beautiful 98 Deville presidential. The solenoid worked great so I bought it.

The problem is it wont work on my 96. The pics explain it all. There is several differences on the 98. I am bummed but will have to tryanother one. fo now I capped the line on my car and have the valve removed. It is useless anyhow.

post-12985-0-76661200-1341293652_thumb.j

post-12985-0-10270100-1341293662_thumb.j

GM FAN FOREVER

Yay this tthread is complete. Went back toolocal yard and found a 95 Deville and servo looked newer. It tested good and I put it on my car. Works like new.

Within 3 seconds of putting the car in gear it releases completely. Took me a whole minute to replace. and 2.5-3 seconds to release is the exact spec.

Part cost was a whole 2.00. way better than paying 62 for a new one

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived