CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1999 Cadillac STS Code P0101 and or fuel pump

ialicea

Hi everyone wanted to give you an update looks like I got the motor running better

sensors replace a and B. I had the cam shaftI had the camshaft sensors replace A&B I also put a new water pump and a thermostat.

While it is running smooth over and better I keep getting a misfire code but I think it is that the battery is old I will look into a new battery get back to everyone .

Also my fuel pressure while the car was idling Jump between 42 and 48 PSI I can take a look to see if I can get an extension holes to test it while I'm driving get back to you on that .

The last thing I keep having is the car is over heating looks like if you put a strong into a cup and blow bubbles into it is the way it keeps coming out of the overflow .

Uploading a video to YouTube called it Hot STS . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi9YGqNnCrM

It looks like you can see the exhaust gasses coming out of the surge tank. Does the gas coming out of the surge tank smell like exhaust? If so, you have a blown head gasket.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

That's sure looks like a head gasket issue.

Anyway, I recently used the coolant tester and fluid mentioned on my 2001....

To me, the fluid never turns yellow. Rather it slowly trends toward loosing the blue tint. One or two sniffs with the tool is not enough. It takes several minutes of pumping the bulb to get the fluid to change color. IMO..it looks more like dirty water then yellow.

Also, mine may have been in the earlier stages of a blown head gasket. It certainly was not blowing out the tank like the video.

Remove a spark plug, bring the cylinder to top dead center on the compression stroke and lock the flywheel. Install an air adapter into the spark plug hole and pressurize the cylinder to 120 psi and observe the surge tank. If coolant erupts out of the surge tank, you have a blown head gasket. Repeat for the other 7 cylinders. My guess is you'll find the cylinder(s) that are causing the problem on the rear bank near the firewall.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

honestly I would save your money. there is no miracle in a bottle that can fix a blown headgasket. especially if it is due to pulled headbolts. I like to pull the valve cover and chech the torque of the headbolts for proper torque. If one has pulled it will just keep turning.

Also 99 had a recall for the headbolt holes being drilled too deep. something you may want to look into

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Whoops, I posted at the end of the first page. Here's what I said, albeit inappropriate for a problem that turned out to be a blown gasket:

If one plug was gapped really wide, it probably had a broken electrode. I would replace all the plugs with new ones, the OEM part number.

The next thing to check is the ground connections on the ignition module. Some mechanics leave it off and let the module ground through the wiring harness, which always causes problems, sooner rather than later.

If that doesn't do it and you have no OBD codes other than an engine miss, the next thing to look at is the plug wires. Even moving them with the beauty cover off can cause arcing that will ruin one or more plug wires.

Coil packs are expensive and rarely go out. Most coils that are replaced are scrapped because of arcing tracks from shorting plug wires, or just for "insurance." The ignition module is next.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks to everyone for all the help you've given me turned out for the misfiring was the crank shaft sensor's A&B were replace and that took care of the problem.

Now for the overheating I did try the miracle in a bottle and of course it didn't work but it comes with a moneyback guarantee so I'm calling on Monday.( We'll see if I get my money back ) LOL

but I've come to the end of this car, looks like I'm going to either sell it to someone who might be able to repair it or just send it on to the junkyard not what I want to do but I need something for the winter that's could be more reliable.

This is making me sad. :wipetears

• 1 month later...

I did find a Miracle in the Bottle it is called Steel Seal it come with a kit you add on

and my car did not overheat i ran it for over 1 hr.

i put a Video out on it go look.

I had to do it in 4 parts.

this is part 1

I had a guy that I work with used a similar product when his 2000 Deville overheated. Mechanic told him he had a cracked block. He drove it another 20,000 miles until he traded it off. The Steel seal I hope was for an aluminum block. I can see this buying time for cracked block but not pulled headbolts.

I read where it's best to find the leaking cylinder, and to remove the spark plug, and fuel injector and run the car without it for 1/2 hour till the gasket fix runs thru & cures. Has me thinking if you can do the same, but short the thermostat so the car thinks it's overheating, and engages limp mode, and hopefully one of the cylinders where the gasket is compromised is deactivated in limp mode. I know - sounds like running the car without a plug can really mess thinks up. Also, I think it's a cool idea to have the kit that collects the exhaust gases early, and sends it to the overflow tank directly, so it doesn't run through all the coolant passages.

Archived