CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

pressure at fuel cap

Hi all. Very pleased as both of my caddys are running beautiful. Just have a minor question on my 96 Deville.

When I go to remove the fuel cap to refuel, there is pressure released as I remove the fuel cap. I was reminded tonight when it did it.

Do note I was running on fumes on the way to the gas station. Literally.

I have no codes of messages. I hhave replaced the cap. currently on my third one, it seems once I replace the cap it is good for awhile but it still happpens.

I am not sure if it is pulling suction or blowing out but it seems like suction.

Any ideas? thank you

post-12985-0-20329200-1338958910_thumb.j

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I think you can forget about the cap being the problem, it should seal tightly without any venting or vacuum relief of any kind. All venting should be going on at the carbon canister in the engine compartment. Several things can be happening in that system, but the first place I would look is the vent line that goes from the tank to the canister, it could be kinked or plugged, or someone could have unhooked it altogether. If that fails to be the problem, things can get complicated. The system relies on other valves and signals in order to purge the canister into the engine where the vapors can be burned off without causing smog.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

thank you. I will have to check the lines near the fuel tank as they are most accessable. hopefully something obvious. kind of glad I have no codes though. NYSI can be a pain

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile