CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Why did Caddy deny these features?

STS Scott

I am just wondering to myself here, but what do you guys think?...

Considering the STS I have was introduced in 1992, I was wondering why Cadillac did not include features that seem to me like no-brainers to include in a car of its status (and price!).

The 1987 Fleetwood my family had prior to the STS (the "d" was missing in Fleetwood, so it was our "Fleetwoo" actually!) had options such as a memory seat, the Autotronic eye headlight dimmer, and those characteristic lightbulb indicators mounted on the fenders, and in the rear window.

Why would Cadillac not include these features that were not only common at the time, but part of their heritage? (Caddy being the one who introduced the Autotronic Eye, and to an extent the bulb indicators were a trademark)

The one that gets me is the lack of a memory seat. That seems like a must have in a luxury car!

I'm not complaining, just wondering.

Anyone agree?

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

even my Aunts 1989 Mercedes 300E has memory seats <_<

Speaking of which, I’d also want everyone to know that our Cadillac’s are built like crap compared to the German rivals. I mean lets be honest...Yes everyone here including I enjoy and love our Cadillacs, but when ever I step foot into my aunts Merc, It always bothers me that a car 5 years older than mine still has better interior build quality! Doors slam shut like a darn vault would, interior pieces fit tightly, and everything feels tighter overall. But then I remember all the good things about my STS, like the power, styling, comfort, and the fact that it’s a Cadillac. Simply put, I love Cadillacs and that will never change. Its just that I can’t help but wish every now and then that our cars were built somewhere in Munich.

I am just wondering to myself here, but what do you guys think?...

Considering the STS I have was introduced in 1992, I was wondering why Cadillac did not include features that seem to me like no-brainers to include in a car of its status (and price!).

The 1987 Fleetwood my family had prior to the STS (the "d" was missing in Fleetwood, so it was our "Fleetwoo" actually!) had options such as a memory seat, the Autotronic eye headlight dimmer, and those characteristic lightbulb indicators mounted on the fenders, and in the rear window.

Why would Cadillac not include these features that were not only common at the time, but part of their heritage? (Caddy being the one who introduced the Autotronic Eye, and to an extent the bulb indicators were a trademark)

The one that gets me is the lack of a memory seat. That seems like a must have in a luxury car!

I'm not complaining, just wondering.

Anyone agree?

My 94 Concours has memory seats and the indicator lights on the fenders and rear window. Maybe it is an option on the new Caddy's.

As much as I liked the Autotronic headlight dimmer, it was problematic at times and occasionally went into a cycling mode where it would flash low and high beams. It also tended to be late in turning off the high beams on turns so you needed to step up and do it manually. While I loved the idea, it required that you paid attention to it as it would occasionally mess up. Given that we live in a litigious society I am sure that it was shelved for those reasons.

When I ordered my Fleetwood Brougham, in 1993, I asked the salesman why the "Dimming Sentinel" was no longer available. He said it was discontinued in the late '80s as very few people ordered it and it was not always reliable as Mike mentioned in his post above.

The new STS has the "Intellibeam" headlight system which uses infared sensors for much more reliable operation. I'm sure it will be available on the other Cadillac models in time.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

even my Aunts 1989 Mercedes 300E has memory seats <_<

Speaking of which, I’d also want everyone to know that our Cadillac’s are built like crap compared to the German rivals. I mean lets be honest...Yes everyone here including I enjoy and love our Cadillacs, but when ever I step foot into my aunts Merc, It always bothers me that a car 5 years older than mine still has better interior build quality! Doors slam shut like a darn vault would, interior pieces fit tightly, and everything feels tighter overall. But then I remember all the good things about my STS, like the power, styling, comfort, and the fact that it’s a Cadillac. Simply put, I love Cadillacs and that will never change. Its just that I can’t help but wish every now and then that our cars were built somewhere in Munich.

Hey, do you have specific instructions on the work you did to your lower fascia? It looks great!

Adam

I don't know when they started it, but from 99+ Sevilles have memory seats. As far is the comparision to which car is better, personal tastes are the determining factor. I was a Cadillac tech just after the birth of the Lexus, and people went nuts over them. But I was less than impressed. Also as a tech, I fell in love with the STS. I had been driving many different types of cars, Mercedes, something I thought to be a bigger peice of crap than a Lexus. I drove a number of Ferios and Yugos, cars that I knew whould have instant death sentences. I also drove a Rolls Royce a Deloroan, and a few Masartites. No, I never got into a Ferriae or Lamborgini, so I cannot state an ipinion on them. In addition, I drove many common cars especaiily Hondas and Nissians

I found Mercedes and BMWs to be major peices of crap, a couple of steps above Ferrios and Yugos, and a number of steps below the Lexus. (If the cars had equal values, and I was given my choice of cars, I would select the Honda or the Nissan over a Mercedes or a BMW.) Now I haven't driven one since the late 80's but Mercedes have always been poor driving cars, and I really don't see where the way the doors close as any merrit to the cars. (The Rolls and mawas a major disapointment.)

Each brand of car has its own specail way in which the doors close, and it's a signature more so than a sign of craftsmanship. My STS's doors click shut with just a touch, and the way they close honors the classic, mulit-decade-long way that GM doors close. To help show the differences in sound or the way something operates, ever notice the distinct sound among (V8's) GM, Ford, and Chrysler starters? It isn't a sign of which one is better; rather, it's a trade mark.

I'm on my second new STS, trading in my 99 just after 911, taking advantage of the fire alarm sale. For the amount of money I have paid for the cars, if I had even the slightest inclination that there were a better car for the same money or less, I certainly wouldn't have boutht the STS's. Obvviously, they put in what Seville owners want. They now have memory seats, and they now don't put ashtrays in the cars, so it seems that most Seville owners don't want ash trays in their cars.

Because of the diverse choice of cars, the bottom line is personal preference: I have always been a sport car/drag race car type of guy, so the STS would be my choice, even with its 4 doors because--too me--it's a more sleak looking car than its sibling.

Cadillac has always had different option packages. I know some of the things that you mention were available in 1992 but were not put on all cars. Price is a consideration you know.

Keep in mind that in a 1992, you're looking at 13 year old technology and a lot of things have been added since then.

The 2005 STS comes with a lot of different options ranging in price from the low $40k to $61k. It depends on which options you choose. You get what you pay for.

I guess that means the original owner of your car must have been cheap.

I miss having the headlite dimmer on the floor. In cars with an automatic tranny it would be nice to have both stalk and floor mounted dimmer.

I would guess that this is a GM Marketing issue. GM seamed to like to save memory seats for its "flag ship" in the late 80's this was the Allante... Which had memory seats... My 90 1/2 Allante had them. Cool feature, but the newer STSs with having the radio and the key fobs all intergrated takes cool to a whole new level...

And "An01STS" you are bang on regarding German cars IMO they are WAY over priced for the quality and features you get. BMWs in particular are notorious for major electical problems with the 7 Series leading the pack of "shorts". If you want a high end car Lexus would be my second pick after Caddies.

Oh, and my '90 1/2 Allante is in that big parking lot in the sky...

Its last DIC message "Accident Detected Air Bag Deployed" :(

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Dasher, I hear what you are saying, but I really think my 95 was not available with memory seats, let alone the other features I mentioned.

Can anyone with a 92-95 confirm, as the car went unchanged interior wise through those years?

Scott

I feel you guys on the lamp monitors. My mom had them in hers. And my dad even had them in his '87 Olds Delta 88. I loved those things. So simple yet effective. I was thinking just the other day, "why aren't they on my '98 STS?" Cuz, my friend told me my tail light was out. If I would've had the monitor lamps I would've known. Also, did 98+ Seville's come with heated mirrors?? I don't think mine does. Noticed this today when my out side rear view mirror was fogged up. There's usually a symbol on a heated mirror isn't there?? Seem like a standard feature my car should have. <_<

IPB Image

I wasn’t going to say anything, but I might as well put my two cents worth in this discussion. We bought our first Cadillac in 86 and have owned four others since then, DeVille, Seville, Escalade, and DeVille. All had memory seats except, I think, the first DeVille. It had some options the others didn’t. The 00 Escalade doesn’t have climate control, which my wife reminds me of each time she gets into my 02 DTS. It has every option I can think of except air conditioned seats( 03’s) do. I can say that I have never been left on the side of the road by any of my Cadillacs. I have had the 02 DTS to the dealer for a radio amp. and I changed a set of wiper blades. I thought at one time I had a temp. problem by Guru convinced me I didn’t. All have been great and reliable . Doors close, no air noise, and no squeaks.

Also, did 98+ Seville's come with heated mirrors?? I don't think mine does. Noticed this today when my out side rear view mirror was fogged up. There's usually a symbol on a heated mirror isn't there?? Seem like a standard feature my car should have. <_>

I am pretty sure it does. My '97 Deville has them. Can't imagine a Seville wouldn't.

The mirrors don't have a symbol on them. They heat up when the rear window defroster is turned on. Too bad the heated glass doesn't get along with the auto-dimming function. It seems the heat from the glass is what causes the dye in the glass to turn yellow and stop working. I had the same problem with my Mark VIII.

Charles

Charles

Memory seats were introduced by Cadillac back in the late 50's on the Eldorado Brougham. They have been used on various models since then. I don't think any cars in the 70's had them but a few models in the 80's had them, usually the Fleewood models and the Sevilles. None of the Sevilles or Eldos had memory seats from 92-95 but were available after that. Pretty much all the cars had heated mirrors with the rear window defogger option since the 80's. Lamp monitors ended on the Seville/Eldo in 1991 and on the Deville in 93. The Brougham kept them through 96. The auto-dimming feature ended in 88 on all models. I personally never had a problem with the feature. It always worked fine. If anything, I think that a lot of people were unaware how to operate the system properly. Alot of people can't operate the Twilight Sentinel properly and that is easy to operate. Cadillac has always been first with innovations. How many car manufacturers had airbags in the 70's? How about anti-lock brakes? Factory security systems? Illuminated Entry?

Max

Cadillac has always been first with innovations. How many car manufacturers had airbags in the 70's?

I know I'm splitting hairs here but the first car with air bags as an option was the '74 Toronado... An Oldsmobile...

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Memory seats were introduced by Cadillac back in the late 50's on the Eldorado Brougham. They have been used on various models since then. I don't think any cars in the 70's had them but a few models in the 80's had them, usually the Fleewood models and the Sevilles. None of the Sevilles or Eldos had memory seats from 92-95 but were available after that. Pretty much all the cars had heated mirrors with the rear window defogger option since the 80's. Lamp monitors ended on the Seville/Eldo in 1991 and on the Deville in 93. The Brougham kept them through 96. The auto-dimming feature ended in 88 on all models. I personally never had a problem with the feature. It always worked fine. If anything, I think that a lot of people were unaware how to operate the system properly. Alot of people can't operate the Twilight Sentinel properly and that is easy to operate. Cadillac has always been first with innovations. How many car manufacturers had airbags in the 70's? How about anti-lock brakes? Factory security systems? Illuminated Entry?

Max

I think the '94-'99 Sedan DeVilles had rear lamp monitors but not front monitors.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

For curiosities sake, where did they put Memory Seat controls, when they (re)introduced the option for 96 Sevilles?

Scott

Archived