CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2010 Platinum Front Head rests

BUICK11

Just test drove a 2010 Platinum DTS. Would have purchased it but was not happy with the Front Head rests where they push your head forward.. The only adjustment I could find was up and down. Was wondering if anyone else found this objectionable?

Our 2008 STS goes up and down with the ability to tilt for and aft. The 2010 Platinum made driving anoying.

Thanks

I can't see where Caddy could have screwed this up, but I've been wrong before. Don't forget, Caddy headrests are pretty messed up to begin with and as far back as my 1999 Seville, I've had issues with them. As I recall, pull them all the way forward and they will spring back to their "starting position", then you can ratchet them forward one position at a time. They are not electronically adjustable. With any luck you will find a good position to keep them in.

That's exactly why I can't remember just how I adjusted mine on my 2008, I set them once then never touch them again. That's how much a PIA they are to work with.

Up and down is still controlled electrically though.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I just saw the "can they be removed" Tag, or whatever we're calling it these days. Yes, they absolutely CAN be removed! A fine toothed blade in a hacksaw will get them suckers out in under 10 minutes.

I'm sorry. I gave some bad information in my original reply. My headrests are just like Texas Jim says. They can be tilted forward and rearward a small amount at the top....that's it, no ratchet or anything. I must have been thinking of a different car I owned. Furthermore, they do NOT go up and down electrically. There is a small catch in the plastic guide under the headrest (on the top of the seat) which, when pushed in will allow the headrest to move up and down a few inches. It is only the lumbar support that will go up and down electrically.

I hadn't been in he car for a few months so after reading Jim's reply I decided to check.....and I was wrong on most of what I wrote. None of this eliminates the fact that they are a PIA to work with. I believe both my wife and I had to raise our headrests up as far as they would go, and tilt them back as far as possible, AND go to a more upright seating position to just keep the headrests from pushing our necks forward.

I just saw the "can they be removed" Tag, or whatever we're calling it these days. Yes, they absolutely CAN be removed! A fine toothed blade in a hacksaw will get them suckers out in under 10 minutes.

I like this idea. Most of the new cars have headrests that are not only fixed, but are tilted too far forward probably to lessen the chance of whiplash. I find them extremely annoying and backing up is even more problematic. Also, they are so huge that passengers sitting behind are unable to see forward. If I had one of these cars, I would take the hacksaw to them and permanently modify them.

IPB Image

I want to preserve the value of the car. I have read they can be lifted out once you find the small release button. Some Caddy's require a special release tool. 1999 I believe. One guy with a 2010 got his out and turned them around. He had to notch the posts.

I made them a offer on the 2010 Platinum. We will see.

On my wifes 08 ford focus they're too far froward as well, whenever I drive it for a long period of time, I simply pull it up, out and turn it around....

No hacking required :)

Don't let your first ride be your last ride in a Cadillac!

I actually did try to remove mine on the 2008 DTS but they wouldn't come out. I held the release button and they would travel to the uppermost limit, but would not come out all the way. Maybe the special tool is a hacksaw :) !

My research shows that their is a small button on the posts that you push in to release it. About the size of a very small allen wrench at the base once it is fully extended near the plastic trim. I was told that the older cars like the 99 STS required a special tool to slide down along side the posts.

I would try and preserve a nice DTS since they may be in demand in the near future. We have found 2 very nice Platinum DTS's in the area that we are negociating with. The problem is that my 01 DTS(WITH 71k ON IT PURCHASED NEW) is so nice I hate to get rid of it.

Archived