CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Window motors

Jan Olsson

I´ve had some trouble with my right rear door window on my STS for some time now. It would work for a day or two after pressing the "window down" switch while slamming the door closed, but it was one of those things that can drive you mad after a couple of mounths.

The window motors and gearbox was made like separate units (until -95 I think?) so I figured that it perhaps would be possible to dissamble the lot and se what caused the condition to occur so I gave it a shot about a week ago.

I noticed that there were signs of wear on the stator possibly from making contact to the permanent magnets on the housing causing a short to ground.

When I looked closer on the the gear housing I noticed that it has a adjusting screw that fits in the end of the motor axis ( I think it works like a simple type of axial/radial "bearing" to make sure that the stator doesn´t make physical contact to the housing). I turned it until it stopped against the axis end released it just a 1/4 turn to make sure that the motor could turn freely and voila! It worked :)

So if you are having trouble, try this adjusting screw first. Perhaps this will do the trick?

I´ve had some trouble with my right rear door window on my STS for some time now. It would work for a day or two after pressing the "window down" switch while slamming the door closed, but it was one of those things that can drive you mad after a couple of mounths.

Good job Jan,

I f you could post a couple of pictures of what you saw it would be just great. Sometimes a picture is worth thousand words.

:)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Will have to try that myself, all windows in my car do it until I slam the door. Must be a common problem with the motors up to 95 model year.

If you do not have problem with power window make sure you are in a Cadillac ;)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I can verify that repair.

I did the same adjustment to my drivers window about two years ago and it has been working great since.

A few months ago this topic came up and this adjustment was done to someone's window motor and it did not fix the problem.

I guess there is not a one "sure cure", however, definitely this adjustment is the first place to start.

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Here's another one to make you scratch your head. I was having the window problem with my 96 STS. Tried door slamming, name calling, etc to no avail. The alternator went out and I replaced it myself. This happened over 3 months ago and the window has not acted up up since-works perfect now!

Someone explain that one to me~

Archived