CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Road Force Balance

BUICK11

I have a slight vibration at 64 MPH on my 2001 DTS I have 4 Michelin tires. The best the tech could get was 7lbs on each tire.

Just wondering what is ideal. I read somewhere that some want 4lbs on Caddy's. Does this mean my tires have to be replaced or can they be fixed?

THANKS

Do you mean 4 ounces (lead weight); seven does seem like a lot. Sometimes the tire can be rotated on the rim to help balance. Or are you referring to pounds that corresponds to the 'road force' reading; I'm not familiar enough with road force to know.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

In my opinion, if all of your tires are less than 7 pounds, you have a real good set of tires.

Usually anything under 10 pounds, gives a real smooth ride.

It may be possible that a wheel is slightly bent and causing a harmonic at that exact speed.

Posted Image

7 oz. on each wheel sounds high. usually no more than 2.5 oz per side is ideal. most dont even take that. 7 oz on 1 rim would equal 3.5 oz per side. jus my opinion though. what kind of weights are being used? tap on or stick on?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

7 oz. on each wheel sounds high. usually no more than 2.5 oz per side is ideal. most dont even take that. 7 oz on 1 rim would equal 3.5 oz per side. jus my opinion though. what kind of weights are being used? tap on or stick on?

He didn't say 7 "OZ" of lead weights....

He said 7 "POUNDS" on the Road Force balancing machine.... which is a real good weight.

Lots of tires are hard to get below 15 pounds.

Posted Image

i do apologize, I have some learnig to do regarding roadforce balancing as opposed to regular spin balancing. it is measured in pounds? Please tell me more. I dont know anyone around here that does roadforce balancing.

Thank you

GM FAN FOREVER

Yes, absolutley agree with what Texas Jim said, If you have your tires down to 7 lbs. road force, you've got a GOOD set of tires. I'd start looking for other issues too. UNFORTUNATELY the 64 mph speed at which this vibration is being felt is almost exclusively a tire problem of some kind. It is possible that you may be dealing with a belt seperation or twist, or even a balance variation in a different direction other than vertical. (radial, or in/out)

Bent wheels should have been evident while the tire was being RF balanced since they do use the machine to check for the low spot and concentricity of the rim.

Make sure your tire mechanic is giving you the correct data.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

i do apologize, I have some learnig to do regarding roadforce balancing as opposed to regular spin balancing. it is measured in pounds? Please tell me more. I dont know anyone around here that does roadforce balancing.

Thank you

For future reference.

http://www.gsp9700.com/search/findgsp9700.cfm

Now that is a great link! Take a look at the "Straight Track" information located on some of the Hunter locations. It tells a whole different story about what MIGHT be happening in some cases. I can also see certain tire combinations causing a back and forth battle for lateral control. This is purely my wild thinking though. The main point is, there is a whole lot going on inside of tires and Road Force Balance really tells only part of the story.

I'm certainly glad that there is a company like Hunter out there that is willing to do the difficult research that will eventually lead to a satisfied tire customer.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Thank you

For future reference.

http://www.gsp9700.c...findgsp9700.cfm

Thhank you very much. I dont do business with anyone on that list so thats why I havent heard of it. wonder if there are others not listed.

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived