CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Uh Oh eyeballing another caddy

title says it all. I have been eyeballing a 1996 Eldorado not far from me. exterior is red (identical to my last eldorado) interior is brown. Not quite fond of the brown but its different.

I finally found the courage to stop to ask about it. It is at a shop just sitting. Owner of shop told me car owner died a while back, car has sat for 10 years. the son inherited the car with other property but lives out of sate and does not want it. Supposedly he gave it to this shop because this shop had done the maintnence before the owner passed away. I would really like to talk to the owners son for more info but the shop owner is going to contact him.

I looked over the car. 1 small dent, some light scratches under front bumper. underside looks solid. didnt find any body rust. Interior looks like a typical interior that has been sitting for as long as this car has. But looks like new wearwise. just needs cleaning.

I am thinking this may be a gold key cadillac. reason being the crest is gold on the front grille, there is a gold crest on the fuel door, trunk, and another I believe.

I dont know if it is a ETC but it looks loaded. It has cd changer, memory feature, astroroof, heated sets, etc...

He said once they charged the battery it fired right up and ran great. no major engine work or trans work. I dont know how many miles it has because he was swamped so I didnt go too far.

I loved my eldorado but it had something wrong with almost everything, engine, trans, body, and suspension. They are so sharp and ride very nicely. I also really lov how there is no frame around the door windows.

I hate to say this but I think my reasonable offer wouldnt be too much because anything can go wrong wih a car that has sat this long. Engine problems, old fluids, he said he thinks it needs brake and fuel lines but they looked ok to me.

He said it can be sold as is or after they do all the work on it. I prefer to buy it as is and restore it myself. If I did get it and the HGs go I want to tackle them myself.

My Seville is a classic example of a car that sat in storage. I have alot of money in it and it hurts.

What the heck am I thinking. If I could be like J leno I would have tons of cars. I already have 3. 2 cadillacs annd a chevy truck. But I love cadillacs and I do anything to keep them going.

thanks for reading. I will post any updates. Below is some pics of my old eldo. It looks almost just like it.

th_100_1420.jpg

th_100_1417.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Sounds like an interesting situation with possibilities. Certainly anything the shop makes on the car is much better than just having it sit on their lot. Does the shop have title to it? I suspect title never changed hands, and there is an issue there or they would have sent to auction instead of letting it sit. If you are willing to do the footwork on getting title that might work out to a lower price.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

• 1 month later...

Update. shop called me this week and wanted me to look at the car.

He said he replaced exerything already. brake lines, fuel lines, all brakes, etc... Car otherwise still looks the same.

Arent the fuel lines plastic? he said they were rotted.

Anyway the bad news. his firm price is 8,000which for me is too much mainly due to the following reasons

The body has alot of paint chipping and the color is a discontinued color

there is a dent in the rocker under the right rear window

The vehicle has been sitting for 10 years without being touched

car has 80000 miles on it and engine has not been timeserted.

interior needs to be done well. from sitting with no ventilation.

I just couldnt see spending 8000 on a car that may have alot of problems. Todays cars dont seem to do well when they sit and seem to have problems

Without a block test bbeing performed after driving it some I wouldnt even touch it. Needless to say I have completely lost interest

GM FAN FOREVER

Determine what you are willing to offer, subtract $500, and let them know. Could be a win-win even though they are saying their price is firm.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

The car is 16 years old and has been setting for 10 years.

If a gasket isn't already bad... it could go at any time.... which means a major outlay of cash.

You say the interior needs to be redone... another major outlay of cash.

With a lot of paint damage and a dent.. it is going to need bodywork and a repaint... another major outlay of cash.

If it were me, I wouldn't be willing to give very much for it at all.

MAYBE... and I mean maybe....."IF" I was feeling real generous... $2,000 bucks.

If I couldn't get it for that or less... I would leave it alone.

Posted Image

exactly. I was thinking more like 1000. But for me thats because I dont need a daily driver. I already have 2.

I cant imagine negotiating anywhere under 8000 to be within reasonable for him. my reasonable offer was just 7000 shy of his lol. whos the crazy one.

He did say several people made high offers o one will have to wait and see when it come down to turning the money over.

And that one that was posted is a beauty. same color as my 96 etc was. but I loved my black interior, so much that I kept the seats and they are now in my Deville

GM FAN FOREVER

I would ask him how he arrived at his price... You could show him Jim's post for the 2001 with 73,000 miles on it. It is amazing what some people think their equipment is worth. It needs body work which can get very expensive. Also, why was the car sitting for 10 years??? I would walk away from this one...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived