CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

RX Performance Products STS-V Fill Tank Project

I have been exchanging fitment photos and details with RX Performance Products in Florida regarding a variant of their new Cadillac CTS-V intercooler expansion tank for the Cadillac STS-V.

On the Cadillac CTS-V and the Cadillac STS-V there is an air escape (bleed) from the intercooler coolant system at a Tee-fitting, and this is where coolant may be added to the system when needed. The idea RX Performance Products has had is to replace the T-fitting with a small tank and fittings. This part of the intercooler coolant flow is on a ‘side-track’ to the main coolant loop. If the intercooler coolant pump can’t pull fluid from its normal intake, for example when there is air in the system, it can pull coolant down this side-track and the air can escape up the side-track.

Photo0596-1024x768.jpg

Read More: http://caddyinfo.com/wordpress/?p=12502

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I am excited about it, and I like to encourage new products for our cars. Not such an impact on fluid capacity -- this tank won't be in the 'main' loop, but is in a side-track. So yes while there will certainly be some temperature buffering not as much as say an inline tank in the main loop (which i am considering how to add). The big thing this tank will do is make it easier to add a bit more reserve coolant and to degas (bleed) the intercooler coolant system.

If is easy to bleed the coolant then it may be more attractive to do side by side 50/50 vs 20/80 coolant tests for example for performance on 'straight' dexcool mix vs distilled water + water wetter summer mix.

I am hoping that after we get this tank done then RX Products will be ready to talk about a booster inline tank. Alternately, the LS9 setup has a small inline tank that I am guessing is 3 quarts to 1 gallon that is reasonably priced and could fit in the space. It doesn't appear to have a bleed of any sort, and I would prefer to have a tank that I can see fluid moving in/out of as a check if needed.

What I really want is a fill setup that could plumb inline and draw a vacuum on the intercooler coolant system and draw new coolant into the system while pulling air out of the system. We don't always get what we want.

Bruce

I am excited about it, and I like to encourage new products for our cars. Not such an impact on fluid capacity -- this tank won't be in the 'main' loop, but is in a side-track. So yes while there will certainly be some temperature buffering not as much as say an inline tank in the main loop (which i am considering how to add). The big thing this tank will do is make it easier to add a bit more reserve coolant and to degas (bleed) the intercooler coolant system.

If is easy to bleed the coolant then it may be more attractive to do side by side 50/50 vs 20/80 coolant tests for example for performance on 'straight' dexcool mix vs distilled water + water wetter summer mix.

I am hoping that after we get this tank done then RX Products will be ready to talk about a booster inline tank. Alternately, the LS9 setup has a small inline tank that I am guessing is 3 quarts to 1 gallon that is reasonably priced and could fit in the space. It doesn't appear to have a bleed of any sort, and I would prefer to have a tank that I can see fluid moving in/out of as a check if needed.

What I really want is a fill setup that could plumb inline and draw a vacuum on the intercooler coolant system and draw new coolant into the system while pulling air out of the system. We don't always get what we want.

The LS9 tank may be a viable option...and you are right... we don't "ALWAYS" get what we want...but that shouldn't keep us from still wanting it and working towards trying to get it... :)

Posted Image

The OEM setup for the STS-V has the intercooler HX, the transmission heat exchanger, the A/C exchanger, and then the radiator.

Not all are shown in this intercooler coolant loop but I include it for reference:

Intercoolerflowdiagram.jpg

The next HX I have ordered will fit under the front bumper, so it won't be in the 'stack' but yes will be an impediment to air flow from the lower grill.

Assuming the retest on the 45321 HX shows no improvement after degasing this week, then I will put the OEM back and the new FMHE (front mounted heat exchanger) in with it in series and test.

Bruce

The OEM setup for the STS-V has the intercooler HX, the transmission heat exchanger, the A/C exchanger, and then the radiator.

Not all are shown in this intercooler coolant loop but I include it for reference:

Intercoolerflowdiagram.jpg

The next HX I have ordered will fit under the front bumper, so it won't be in the 'stack' but yes will be an impediment to air flow from the lower grill.

Assuming the retest on the 45321 HX shows no improvement after degasing this week, then I will put the OEM back and the new FMHE (front mounted heat exchanger) in with it in series and test.

That sounds like a good plan... :hatsoff:

Posted Image

Archived