CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Gathering more parts - S3 FMHE

Tim C keeps working on his STS-V — he has done a turbo kit then returned it to stock at this point. His product offerings include a front mounted heat exchanger, an upper supercharger pulley service, and a new product on the way, a cold air intake. He has a new website coming for sales and info; stay tuned.

As the next experiment in my intercooler cooling quest I have decided to try the ZZP S3.

is.aspx_1-e1335354710979.jpg

Read more: http://caddyinfo.com/wordpress/?p=12477

This week I am continuing to monitor the fluid level and then hope to retest the current config after it has burped air for the week. But meanwhile gathering parts for the next test...

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Here is a shot of my new intercooler cooling team together:

oemhx-with-s3hx-1024x706.jpg

Read More:

Sizing up the ZZP S3TC Heat Exchanger

Bruce

Grabbed a cobalt drill bit from Lowe's to get ready to add some holes to the front bumper supports.

Should be simple, but me and tools...

564ed595ba25ae826054bb7af074.jpg

Bruce

Update:

After a long day Saturday with at least 3 installs in 2 locations to get the various parts to play together the new HX the OEM HX, and the Power Steering HX are all in the STS-V and functioning.

The S3TC is mounted on the bumper supports, with the PS HX above it. Normally one would run flow to the aft HX, then to the forward HX, since the forward HX has the coldest air, but the hose routing didn’t work for that so mine goes to the S3TC then to the OEM HX. Minor difference at best but worth mentioning. I have been running the intercooler pump and refilling the system. I am really missing the RX Performance fill tank today!

I am going to take a long break then I will go over everything again and get a test drive in.

Bruce

I am curious Bruce, is that bumper removal a one man job? I really enjoy reading your info, in case you ever think you are posting for naught. I can't offer any insight though. Keep em coming.

When I have been doing it, it has been a 1-person job yes. The front clip on the STS-V is pretty light, and it is not too hard to get it close enough, then pin it in place with one of the retaining rivets, then work around to the other attachments. I end up draining the washer fluid bottle for the headlight washers each time, but not sure if that can be avoided.

Thanks for your comment on the intercooler cooling experiments. I like this sort of actual data to consider, even though there are still many variables in play.

Bruce

Update 2:

Took the STS-V for a shakedown drive to monitor IAT2, the temp after the supercharger. For the first trip out, the temps went steadily up to 170F. This obviously concerned me, but I grabbed dinner on the way home. I had the farmhouse salad, the STS-V had another 1/2 gal of Dexcool 50/50. Yes, that shake-out drive burped up even more air and the intercooler loop gulped down a lot more coolant.

Next I waited until the thirst for dexcool had slacked, and went to retest.

Read more: http://caddyinfo.com/wordpress/?p=12605

Bruce

I like the looks of the new graph a "LOT" better than the old graph of the OEM by itself.

Looks like it starts out cooler... doesn't go up as high and recovers to a lower temp quicker.

Those are all good things. :)

Posted Image

It may still not be full of coolant; I'll keep monitoring and topping it up. Same problem as usual -- for the fill T I can only add a small amount at a time, and wait for it to get pulled into the system. People say it takes them about a week sometimes to get all the air out of the system. I would literally just fill and sit and watch it, fill, work on something, fill, etc.

I want to look at improving the shrouding around the FMHE so that all air coming into the lower grill is guided to the heat exchanger. It is basically that way now but small changes in shrouding can be important.

I also need to isolate the PS HX better so it can't be a heat source, but the front clip will have to come off for that again.

Update: Added a picture of the S3TC front mounted heat exchanger in place:

100_1766-1024x682.jpg

Bruce

Ordered some Spectre Performance stainless steel coated heater hoses for the intercooler connections. These are rubber hoses with a stainless steel braid sheathing.

There are 3 hoses to/from my intercooler heat exchangers, and the hoses have to make a number of turns along their routing. I am hopeful that the stainless exterior of these eliminates any hose crimping tendency and makes for a clean install look.

418Q1DXE3QL._SS500_.jpg

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Spectre-Performance-39798-Stainless-Heater/dp/B0006305G0/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1336359438&sr=1-7

Bruce

Test-Hot-S3TC-with-Spectre.png

S3TC plus OEM with Spectre Hoses, Similar Air Temps

I did a first shake-down test run, then let the car sit and heat soak, then did another 20 min test capture.

The chart shows intake air temperature 2 (IAT2) after the supercharger over time during a 20 min test drive. The spikes on the chart are acceleration runs.

Read More: http://caddyinfo.com...dpress/?p=12724

IAT2vsRPMandSpeed1.png

Bruce

More ways to overthink the intercooler dynamics:

IAT2-vs-Speed-and-Time.png

Every 3 seconds the coolant in the intercooler makes one complete circuit...

Read More: http://caddyinfo.com/wordpress/?p=12742

Bruce

Test of changes in hotter air today vs previous test:

Intercooler HX Testing: Changes in Ambient Temp vs IAT2

Test-of-effect-of-changes-to-ambient-temp-changes-2.png

iat2-vs-boost-vs-time.png

Bruce

Ordered a Jabsco intercooler pump. The Jabsco unit is a centrifugal unit like the OEM Bosch but with higher GPM flow. Intercooler theory suggests higher flow is always better. Conventional wisdom internet arguments talk about dwell time and the benefits of low flow. It will be interesting to test.

34531.gif

Bruce

Bruce has any thought been given to improving the heat transfer rates? Do any of these products work or am I falling for snake oil hype?

http://www.wc101.com/reviews/Additives/

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Part of my thinking is based on this snippet from the Stewartsite:

1 BTU is the amount of energy required to raise 1 pound of water 1°F. Of all common liquids water requires the most energy to accomplish this. Therefore water has a specific heat of 1°. An Ethylene Glycol/water mix has a specific heat of .5, meaning it requires only .5 BTUs to raise the temperature of 1 pound Ethylene Glycol/water mix 1° F. Propylene Glycol has a specific heat of only .3

Dex-cool is ethylene glycol based. So one might conclude that pure water has twice as much heat absorption capability as 50/50 Dexcool.

Products like water wetter in the intercooler loop are interesting to me in that one could run distilled water plus this sort of product as a corrosion inhibitor. Their site says one 12 oz bottle treats 3-5 gallons, so that suggests a percentage of 12/384-12/640= 3%-2% water wetter to coolant. So if I am putting 1 gallon in my intercooler loop then only 4 oz of water wetter and 124 oz of distilled water would be needed, and should carry more heat per degree of temp change than 50/50 dexcool.

One could get a similar result from going to a 80/20 dexcool mix in the summer. I have been keeping to a constant mix in the system as I changed systems to maintain one more control. This might be a good time to run some tests with the water wetter and water vs 50/50 dexcool and see how it effects the temps.

Bruce

Archived