Can anybody tell me at what temp. the radiator fans should turn on and do they continue to run for a while after ignition is turned off when its hot? And what is the code for fan trouble ?

According to the 1997 FSM, p. 6-797, the fans come on low if the A/C is on, the ECT reports 106 C or 229 F, or if the transmission temperature is 150 C or 302 F. If the coolant temperature is over 151 C or 304 F, the fans will remain on low speed even if the key is off.

The fans switch from low to off if the ECT reports 102 C or 216 F or lower temperature.

The fans switch from low to high if the engine coolant temperature is 112 C or 234 F, or the transmission temperature is 151 C or 304 F.

The fans switch from high to low if the ECT reports 106 C or 229 F or lower temperature.

There are scads of codes regarding the cooling fans. Examples are

P0480 Cooling Fan Relay 1 Control Circuit

P0481 Cooling Fan Relay 2 Control Circuit

P0482 Cooling Fan 3 Control Circuit Malfunction

P0483 Cooling Fan Rationality Check Malfunction

P0484 Cooling Fan Circuit Over Current

P0485 Cooling Fan Power/Ground Circuit Malfunction

Note that there is no cooling fan 3 in the Northstar (but there may be one on the supercharged models). If you suspect a cooling fan code, read out your OBD codes and post them here and we'll look them up.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

According to the 1997 FSM, p. 6-797, the fans come on low if the A/C is on, the ECT reports 106 C or 229 F, or if the transmission temperature is 150 C or 302 F. If the coolant temperature is over 151 C or 304 F, the fans will remain on low speed even if the key is off.

The fans switch from low to off if the ECT reports 102 C or 216 F or lower temperature.

The fans switch from low to high if the engine coolant temperature is 112 C or 234 F, or the transmission temperature is 151 C or 304 F.

The fans switch from high to low if the ECT reports 106 C or 229 F or lower temperature.

There are scads of codes regarding the cooling fans. Examples are

P0480 Cooling Fan Relay 1 Control Circuit

P0481 Cooling Fan Relay 2 Control Circuit

P0482 Cooling Fan 3 Control Circuit Malfunction

P0483 Cooling Fan Rationality Check Malfunction

P0484 Cooling Fan Circuit Over Current

P0485 Cooling Fan Power/Ground Circuit Malfunction

Note that there is no cooling fan 3 in the Northstar (but there may be one on the supercharged models). If you suspect a cooling fan code, read out your OBD codes and post them here and we'll look them up.

Gotcha ! thanks Jim

• 1 month later...