CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tire Pressure Monitor

OynxSTS

I'm on the verge of buying a very nice Dark Blue 2002 STS... My wife who never gets too excited about anything went totally gaga when she first say it... Drives like a dream...

One mysterious issue...

The car has the tire monitors (stems) and has the option code for the monitor... But on the DIC... Nothing!

I know the system need to be reset after a tire change/rotation, but if it is not reset (I suspect the detailer might have swaped one or more wheels) does it just turn itself off, or does it give "wrong" readings from the wrong corners of the car?

Help! The warrantee is running out!

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

When I had new wheels put on they all read 0 took it back to the dealer and the reset the stems at each wheel and it works fine If you switch a wheel it will read from the last position it was calibrated.. It takes about 10 minutes or so if all you nedd is a calibration

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim, but thats not what the car is doing... As you toggle through the Info Items there is nothing for the tires.... Its like its not there... No zero measures... no worng measures... Nothing...

Will a reset help... Or is this a dealer problem?

Greg

caddy.jpg

Greg

Greg,

This was a topic for for discussion on this Board several months ago. It should read the last place the tire was if rotated and not reset. To set the tire to the right position, you need a horseshoe shaped magnet and follow procedures outlined. If you don't have any readings, you might check to see if you have sending units inside the tires or blown fuse.

Thanks Hud,

I did read the month old thread and had convinced myself that all I needed was a magnet... I also convinced myself that this list was awesome...

However after further investigation it became clear that even without the reset I should get "wrong" readings and/or zero readings... The car is doing neither... On the list of Information Items, it toggles through them and it never gets to the 4 tire pressure readings... I suspect that some technition in the past turned this off using the scanner... I'm probably going to buy the car tommorow anyway... But this makes me wonder.... Why would a technition turn this off?

Greg

caddy.jpg

Greg

With the Engine turned off and the key set to run, if you toggle thru the DIC, one of the options will be setup information or something like that. When you enter the setup, one of the options is to turn off or on the tire readout. If you select off, when you toggle thru the DIC while the car is running, there is no pressure display at all. Nothing. Sounds to me like that is what the previous owner did... maybe he did it because someone screwed the other things being mentioned on here, but you can figure that out. Toggle thru and turn it on. If *nothing* is appearing, I'm fairly confident this is whats going on.

Thanks iowaboy,

Been there, done that... The mystery deepens... When you enter setup mode and cycle through... there is no selection to activate or deactive the tire presure option... I tried this first (and twice)....

The car will be off to the dealer on Monday to figure it out....

This car is a GMAC lease return and was purchaed from a dealer out of state. The car was on his lot for only 2 days. I suspect that it probably has a bad wheel sensor, was generating an error code and rather than source the part they just plugged in the scanner and deactivated the whole option and then fliped it to me... Creating a problem for me and my local dealer.... Just a guess... I know a bit of a stretch...

When its fixed I'll post the cause and solution...

Greg

caddy.jpg

Greg

Assuming the car has been equipped with the Tire Pressure Monitoring function, the Tire Pressure Display can be turned on or off from the Feature Programming option on the DIC. You can have different settings for Driver 1 and Driver 2.

The following is from the Owner's Manual for the 2002 STS:

Entering Feature Programming

To enter the feature programming mode, do the following:

1. Turn the ignition to ON, making sure the vehicle is in PARK (P).

2. If your vehicle has memory settings, press the appropriate memory button, 1 or 2, located on the driver’s door panel. The DIC display will show either 1 or 2 depending on which button was selected.

3. Press the INFO button until FEATURE PROGRAMMING appears on the DIC display.

4. Press the ON/OFF button to enter FEATURE PROGRAMMING.

Tire Pressure Display (If Equipped)

This feature will allow the individual tire pressure readings to be displayed when using the INFO button to scroll through the DIC displays. Even with this feature

programmed to be turned off, a low or high tire pressure condition will still cause the CHECK TIRE PRESSURE message to be displayed on the DIC. See “Driver

Information Center (DIC) Messages” in the Index for more information.

Programmable Modes

Mode 1: ON

Mode 2: OFF

Before your vehicle was shipped from the factory, it was programmed to Mode 1. The mode to which the vehicle was programmed may have been changed since it left

the factory. To determine the mode to which the vehicle is programmed or to program the vehicle to a different mode, do the following:

1. Enter FEATURE PROGRAMMING following the instructions listed previously.

2. Press the down arrow on the INFO button until TIRE PRESSURE DISPLAY appears on the DIC display.

3. To turn on the feature, press the ON/OFF button until ON appears on the DIC display. To turn it off, press the ON/OFF button until OFF appears on the display.

The mode you selected is now set. You can either exit the programming mode by following the instructions later in this section or program the next feature available

on your vehicle.

Exiting Feature Programming

To exit FEATURE PROGRAMMING, press the INFO RESET or INFO button.

Thank you DaveL for the lengthy and complete post.

My car is an 02 STS most of which came with the sensors... I'm sure that my car came this way as it has the tell-tale all metal "king-size" valve stems and it has RPO UJ6 which is the tire presure code...

Unfortunatley when I scroll through all the options on both "use" and "program features" it is AWOL!

The dealer gets a crack at this tomorrow at 7:30 AM!

Greg

caddy.jpg

Greg

OK so the dealer fixed it.. Under warrantee i.e. for free. Another one of those Tech II custom body computer settings that had been deactivated...

A word to GM... If you sell these cars...

TRAIN YOUR DEALERS!!!! Arghh!!!

While the car was in... and since they had to hook up a Tech II anyway... I asked to have the Driver 1 and Driver 2 names changed... My wife suggested we change Driver 1 to "Old Man" and Driver 2 to "Trophy Wife" :lol: and I was willing to pay too...

The service manager first said this was not possible.. When I showed him the owners manual he admited that he had "seen this done to a 2003 or maybe it was a 2004 but I'm not sure how they did it..." Great!:angry:

Y'all will love this part!

He did tell me "If you could provide me with detailed Tech II directions I would do this for you, if it's easy, I might be able to do this a no cost..." Or in other words, Could you train me?

Amazing! I've heard this is in the service manual could someone either:

1) post how to do this

2) post a link to these instrunctions

3) post the section and page number of the service manual so I can tell "George" where to "go"

Many Thanks

"old man"

caddy.jpg

Greg

OK so the dealer fixed it.. Under warrantee i.e. for free.  Another one of those Tech II custom body computer settings that had been deactivated... 

A word to GM... If you sell these cars...

TRAIN YOUR DEALERS!!!! Arghh!!!

While the car was in... and since they had to hook up a Tech II anyway... I asked to have the Driver 1 and Driver 2 names changed... My wife suggested we change Driver 1 to "Old Man" and Driver 2 to "Trophy Wife"  :lol: and I was willing to pay too...

The service manager first said this was not possible.. When I showed him the owners manual he admited that he had "seen this done to a 2003 or maybe it was a 2004 but I'm not sure how they did it..."  Great!:angry:

Y'all will love this part! 

He did tell me "If you could provide me with detailed Tech II directions I would do this for you, if  it's easy, I might be able to do this a no cost..."  Or in other words, Could you train me?

Amazing!  I've heard this is in the service manual could someone either:

1) post how to do this

2) post a link to these instrunctions

3) post the section and page number of the service manual so I can tell "George" where to "go"

Many Thanks

"old man"

You should train him and get some cash for the lesson. :lol:

Oh, sorry I for got this... This is what my dealer did with his Tech 2 to "reactivate" my Tire Presure Monitor:

Follow this path on your Tech 2:

Body

Remote Function Actuation

Special Functions

Set Options

Tire Pressure Warning

Read the instructions on the next screen, then press Continue.

Scroll to highlight the Tire Pressure Warning Option.

Press the Enter key to put and asterisk * next to the option.

Press the Save Option soft key

PS for those who like to run their tires rock hard and get a warning that they are over inflated this procedure can also turn this option OFF!

Still looking for Tech 2 Help to program the Driver 1 & 2 names... Anyone...

caddy.jpg

Greg

OK so the dealer fixed it.. Under warrantee i.e. for free.  Another one of those Tech II custom body computer settings that had been deactivated... 

Many Thanks

"old man"

You should train him and get some cash for the lesson. :lol:

After about a 2 hour search on the internet I found how to change the Driver 1 and Driver 2 Names:

1. Select driver information center (on Tech 2)

2. Select driver #1 or Driver #2

3. Select Driver #1 Name or Driver #2 Name

4. The Tech 2 tool displays directions for entering the Driver's Name. Read and press Enter.

5. The Tech 2 tool now displays 17 symbol numbers, with each number (32 through 255) corresponding to a symbol on the ASCII Character Table. Use the Left or Right arrows to scroll to the desired placeholder.

6. Use the Clear Entry special function button on the Tech 2 tool to clear current symbol number for that placeholder.

7. Use the numerical keypad to enter the new symbol number. Press Enter.

8. When all 17 symbol numbers are as customer desired, press the Save Name special functions button on the Tech 2 tool to store the new Dirver's Name in the Instrument Panel Cluster's memory

I showed this to the dealer he was so happy (I wasn't the first guy to ask for this) he agreed to do it for free!

caddy.jpg

Greg

I had a 99 before this one, and I have sat down with the owner's manuals, reading them pretty much from cover to cover. Despite the fact that I cannot spell well, my reading comprehension ability is in the upper 2% of the population.

It's not a case of not understanding the instructions, or it isn't written well; rather, lots of gizmoes are extremely complicated. The raido, for instance, has so many settings that I finally gave up trying to learn every function. Same with other "Feature Programming," such as all the options you have with gas consumption. Heck! I do more than my fair share of wot, so fuel consumption really isn't a huge concern.

Dag gone short term memory loss: One more thing: Is there a possibility that the car has been wrecked? A clean carfax doesn't mean that it hasn't been wrecked; it only means that the car weaseled through the repair without it being documented.

Take the car by a high quality body shop, and have them inspect it. They might want $35 or so dollars to inspect it, but it might be worth it, espceailly if it has had heavy collision work done to it.

One more thing: Is there a possibility that the car has been wrecked?

No, it hasn't been in an accident. Bodyshop friend of mine checked her out and gave her a clean bill of health...

Why, can an accident de-activate the TPM?

caddy.jpg

Greg

Archived