CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What is the purpose of these spacers anyway, was/is there an advantage to having them? I cleaned mine out REAL good in the fall, they were just choked full o sludge. Cleaned the surface and slots on the block also. I guess they were found to be unnecessary since they're not repeated after 94. :rolleyes:

look1-1-1.jpg

The phenolic spacers provided a path for the EGR gasses. They were used only with the magnesium intake manifold. When the plastic intake was introduced for the 1995 model year, the EGR passages were changed to the metal hoses and the passages in the head surface were blocked off.

With the EGR pipes, the system no longer cokes closed like it did with the original design.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks for that, KHE.So ultimately the changeover just helps to decrease maintenance requirements and possible performance issues to those unaware of it?

look1-1-1.jpg

Thanks for that, KHE.So ultimately the changeover just helps to decrease maintenance requirements and possible performance issues to those unaware of it?

When the plastic intake was implemented, the EGR needed to be rerouted - nothing to do with reducing the maintenance.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

When the plastic intake was implemented, the EGR needed to be rerouted - nothing to do with reducing the maintenance.

So...it was just a way of developing 5 more HP? 94 STS=295hp 95-97=300hp

look1-1-1.jpg

Archived